will an intex SWG (model 54601E) work in a 21ft AGP ?

So out of curiosity....If an intex SWG that cost 150'ish will work for an AGP (in my case 21ft but Ive seen other members here using it with a 24') why would anyone pay 4 times that amount for a SWG ?
Do you have to run the generator more ? or is it only expected to last a couple seasons ? Why would anyone buy a (comparitively) expensive model instead of the intex ? Thanks to this forum I am learning about many pool related items at a rapid pace but this still confuses me a bit.

I have the model on my 21' pool. Works great! lately I have been running it for ~9 hours/day during the daytime, but I could probably dial it back to ~7 hours and be fine since I am running a bit lower with my CYA (~55 ppm right now). Intex is a no frills option. It is either on or off, i.e. no power output setting. Also, it is technically not for "permanant" installation (per the lawyer speak in the manual) and has no intentional accommodation for bonding.

I also have the intex on my pool and love it! It saves me the hassle and headache of lugging chlorine around and only needs the occasional cleaning to keep in up and running.

Like linen said, it's a no frills machine. You turn it on, set it for the number of hours you want it to run and it will again repeat that in 24 hours. If the power to it is disconnected at any time it will fail to reset. There is no % setting on the intex, it's either running or it's not... unlike some of the larger units.

I tend to make sure mine isn't running when anyone's in the pool. Because they use electrical current to convert the salt water to chlorinated water I tend to feel safer if it's simply not running. I don't mind if the power is on, but I just don't allow it to run. Probably not necessary, but I would do it no matter what swg I was using. Just a little nervous about electricity and water mixing.

Ditto to what everyone above said....that said, my unit is coming close to finishing season 3 and when it fails, I have another $130 unit sitting in the garage :lol:

It is by far a no frills unit and you can not tweak it like the more expensive units, but it will get the job done. It keeps my 24ft pool running 3-5hrs/day, depending on weather conditions and my CYA levels (50-70).

I see. It seems to me that many people DO use it as a permanent solution. I have seen other SWG's costing up to 600.00 with a 500 replacement cost on the crystal...( i think thats what its called)..not sure why anyone would choose that option. Even if the Intex lasts only 3 seasons, you can just buy a new one every time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same thinking you have, but since my pool is a little bigger than they recommend, I got 2 units (one connected before each of my returns). I haven't nailed down exactly how long to run them, but it looks like the 2 will keep up my chlorine in around 4 hours each. And if one dies, I can just run the one for 8 hours until the other is replaced. So far it seems to be working pretty good.

gdog2004 said:
..not sure why anyone would choose that option.

Kind of like a car...whichever model you choose, they'll all get you from point A to point B. The intex is like my old accord with roll up windows that went over 200K, while let's say the autopilot is like having a luxury brand car, that may also go 200K miles, but won't be cheaper, but comes with a lot of options.

It's all relative, if you had just built a $70k+ pool, what's a $1,400 SWG :wink: . On the other hand, my pool cost around $13K all in, hence I roll in an intex :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
gdog2004 said:
It's all relative, if you had just built a $70k+ pool, what's a $1,400 SWG :wink: . On the other hand, my pool cost around $13K all in, hence I roll in an intex :goodjob:
I agree....I am cheap cheap cheap (ask my wife) but I really liked the concept of a swg. Got the pool for free, installed it myself, and intex swg was really my only option. Turned out to be a good one.

dmanb2b said:
ehmm...Free...darn, missed that one :lol:

Nice score :goodjob:
Seemed like a number of people just "wanted it out of the yard" last year. I haven't seen as much or that here this year yet. Course it needed a liner, a solar cover, some tlc for the equipment, replaced pump this year with a 2 speed, etc. Made my boys work for it though and now they are reaping the rewards...I hope they learned something... :whip:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.