Modifications to My Summer Escapes.

BBBliever

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2011
Central Califorina
Lots of info on this site for intex owners but the few of us that have summer escapes might find mods difficult as we have even less product supply/support available.

Here are a few mods I recently made after getting an intex sand filter/pump for my 12x39 summer escapes pool.

First the pump will connect directly to the original pump outlet at the bottom of the skimmer. The output on the 1600 gph sand filter was too much for my 12' pool. The circulation was pushing debris past the skimmer.

Next I made the fountain with 2 returns from Crookm's thread. Toward the end of the thread Raza finds a simple PVC adapter that makes the job a snap and it works perfectly for summer escapes. Take a look at the thread. For my 12' pool I have a 1 inch outlet up high pointed towards th side and a 3/4 inch outlet toward the bottom pointed to the middle of the pool. This provides optimum circulation for my pool.

Today I finally made a vacuum. I got a 2 inch PVC coupler and 25 ft length of 1 1/2 inch pool hose from lowes (cost $25). I put a few layers of duct tape on the inside of the coupler. Now it fits snugly to the pump inlet inside the skimmer. Next a few more layers of duct tape on outside of one end of the hose and that fits snugly to the other end of the coupler. Now I have a vacuum going direct to the filter. I put on goggles and snorkel and it's not too long before my pool is finally BBBlingly for the first time ever.

The vac accually worked great. By just using the hose I was able to get behind the seam of the floor and walls were there was allot of dirt. Only negative us you have to be in the water but I am always looking for a reason to get in the pool.

Hope my trial and error will help somebody out. Both mods together were about $50.

Thanks BBB! I have the same pool that you have. Leo is going to help me install the new pump and filter this week. I'd love to get some pics of what you did.

We need a fountain in our pool...water temp yesterday was 92 degrees. This week the weather will be over 100 for several days...according to the weatherman. Also a built-in vacuum would be great as well.

I'm the one who does ALL the maintenance, cleaning, water treatment so anytime I can save time and expense is great.

Did you have a dedicated electrical outlet installed also? We are running the intex skimmer pump on an extension cord now...I don't think the pump should be running on an extension cord but I could be wrong. Also we have NiteLight for the pool and it would be nice to have the pump and light connected without having to unplug the pump.

We may go up to the next size pool next year. Waiting to see what kind of end of the season deals there are to be had.

Julie

Julie, I'm not to tech savy. Posting pics is out of my realm.

The kids love the foutain but I have a canopy above the pool that give it shade most of the day. Yesterday was 100, my water was 84. All the info you need for the fountain is in Crookm's thread.

The vacuum was supper easy, cheap, and is effective.

I too am waiting for the 16' ultraframe to go on clearance. Walmart had it for $300 but is out of stock. Target had it for $400 but raised it to $550. As the swim season draws to an end prices will drop.

Costco has a 18' Intex for $99.00 yesterday in Gainesville, GA! Bought a fountain for the pool - picking it up this afternoon...weather has cooled way down and I'm sure the water probably doesn't need cooling off now...but I have it as it gets warmer...dog days aren't over yet in GA...

Wow, that is a great deal, especially for a location that far south where there is still quite a bit of summer left. Did you buy one and if so, are you putting it up this year or waiting until next year?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.