Lowering CH

Calcium doesn't go away when water evaporates. As water evaporates and you add more water with more calcium in it the total calcium level goes up. Calcium also increases when you use cal-hypo, which contains both chlorine and calcium.

Water softeners are not designed for the kind of volume of water that pools require. If you only used it for a couple of hundred gallons at a time it would help, but trying even a couple of inches of water at one time will quickly overwhelm the water softener.

OK, here are the test results after doing a 5000g water change.
FC: .5
CC: .5
TC: 1
PH: 7.7
TA: 150
CH: 410
CYA: 50
SALT: 2380
TEMP: 54 degrees
I was suprised at the CH reading so I retested the tap water and today it was reading 240. Twice as much as last time I checked.
In what order should I start adjusting my current readings. I cannot afford anymore water changes as our rates are sky high.
Thanks
Don

I wouldn't worry about the Calcium Hardness (CH) level. You can just run with a somewhat lower Total Alkalinity (TA) level to compensate and it will give you an advantage of not having pH rise as rapidly, if that's something your pool has been experiencing. You should also add a little more chlorine, even though the water is cold. Just get it up to around 3 ppm FC and it should stay that way for a while -- probably several weeks before needing to add more unless the pool is exposed to sunlight.

You can lower your TA (if you want, but not essential right now) by following the procedure in this post where essentially you lower the pH and aerate, adding acid to keep the pH low. However, at the colder water temperature, this procedure might not be very efficient so you could just add some acid to drop the pH to 7.5 (and do that periodically if the pH rises) and wait until spring to lower the TA then.

Your water is not terribly over-saturated at this point, especially at the lower temperature, so you could just leave things alone until spring. I think that's the easiest thing to do right now.

Richard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.