How often to run pump?

Blink

Jul 29, 2011
Somerset, WI
I’m new to the pool ownership and not sure if this is the right forum but wondering how often I should run my pump in the summer? Lately outside air temps are about 80-95 degree mark here in Wisconsin. The pool has been in about a month and pump has been running steady the whole time. Pool temp right now is 85 degrees. Pool looks great and crystal clear but worried about $$costs running pump continuously. Can or should a person put a timer on? Will it re-prime ok if you do this, ok on pump?

My equipment is:
• 1hp pump (Pentair SuperFlo High performance)
• Cartridge Filter (Pentair Clean & Clear CCP420)

Thanks for you HELP!!

Yes hello welcome to tfp. We are here to help,Please post how many gallons or the size of your pool so we can narrow it down for you. Also if u need a good test kit check into Taylor K2006 kit or TF 100 kit. My pool is 8000 gallons and I run mine for 5-6 hours a day. Adding a timer is a great idea I have added one this year and love it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Great questions! Absolutely put your pump on a timer.....Lots of options.

Reprime is a VERY excellent question. The answer is it certainly should but they do not always. Once you make your timer choice, see how it goes but be prepared to monitor it and find the leak if it drains back to the pool. For now, assume it won't.

Depending on temperature and swimmer load, most of us seem to settle in around 8-12 hours daily. We usually start with about 12-14 daily and then gradually reduce that time as long as the pool is staying clear......mine is down to about 7 hours daily.

Thanks Guys! This is a great site!! My pool is 29,700 gallons.

So going off of about 12 hours a day is this best to run during the day with kids and the pool activities going or best done at night into the early am?

One other thing I currently pull from my bottom drain and my (one) skimmer so it is setup 50-50. I have two jets at the end.

Thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.