SWG Conversion...what do I need to know

dombey

Apr 25, 2010
Oregon
Hi guys,
I'm a relatively new pool owner (going on 18 months) and I think I've pretty much got it in terms of taking care of my existing pool setup (thanks to this forum, no problems at all).

Our future plans are to re-do all of our pool equipment (convert to swg, new filter/pump, etc), kooldeck will be replaced with pavers, and the pool itself will be done with pebbletec (or similar) in the next 3-4 years depending on how the plaster holds up.

My question is...what is required in order to convert to swg before our major pool overhaul in a few years? I use a gallon of 10% every single day for about 4 months and 1/2-1/3 gallon the remainder of the year...it's expensive, annoying, and represents a pretty substantial storage problem. I don't know anything about the setup...I'm assuming it is more complicated than buying and installing a SWG and dumping salt into the pool...right? :scratch: :mrgreen:

As Jason said, that's pretty much it. You will probably want to run a higher CYA than you are now, which you can gradually bring up after conversion, & keep a close eye on PH. I have high TA fill water, but all it takes is a couple cups of muratic acid every week or so to keep the PH in check, & the TA slowly swings down in range over the 3-4 month season here in Iowa. My timer is set to run 12 hrs during the day with a 50% SWG percentage, & it keeps it at a comfortable 4-5. I haven't added a drop of liquid chlorine in the pool in weeks now. I wish I'd have converted years ago! Very trouble & maintenance free so far for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.