New Pool owner - Help Identifying old pool equipment

Jul 28, 2011
We moved into a new house about 2 weeks ago, which has a 1978 vintage pool. This website has been enormously helpful in figuring out some of the basics, but there remain a few pieces of mystery equipment that I can't figure out. The pool is heated by a Teledyne Laars Mark V, the previous owners installed a new Jandy FloPro .75 hp pump for the pool, there appears to be a separate pump for the spa, and there is an Intermatic pool timer.

So, couple of questions- is there a user manual for the Mark V out there? It appears to be heating the pool even though the switch has been in the off position and the dial for pool heat is turned all the way to minimum. All I've been able to find on the internet is a parts diagram.

And, does this heater heat both the pool and the spa?

And here is some mystery equipment -- what is the thing to the left of the DE filter (the really dirty off-white thing with the cracking cover)?
[attachment=2:2pfl6qkq]pic1.jpg[/attachment:2pfl6qkq]

Here is another another view.
[attachment=1:2pfl6qkq]Pic 2.jpg[/attachment:2pfl6qkq]

Also, why are there two timers? The one one the left controls the pool pump, but can't figure out what the one on the right does, if anything at all.
[attachment=0:2pfl6qkq]Pic3.jpg[/attachment:2pfl6qkq]

I know these questions probably make me sound like a complete idiot, but any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 51
One more thing - what is it?

Two more pix of something I can't identify:
[attachment=1:39ei24ld]Pic4.jpg[/attachment:39ei24ld]
[attachment=0:39ei24ld]Pic5.jpg[/attachment:39ei24ld]

Attachments

• Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 47
The White cracked housing looks to be a spa blower motor ...

On the timers I can see one has the timer trippers but the other one does not.. Not Sure what is being powered all the time--looking at the switch--it looks to be on by the timer main switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.