2 problems - Metal stains & possible bad filter?

Athlon646464

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
Last Sunday night, knowing we were going away until Thursday night, I raised my FC to 13 to carry me through while we away. In the meantime my daughter scheduled a pool party for Friday for all of her friends. My FC dropped to 3.5, it was hot and sunny here while we were gone.

Problem #1

To our horror when I looked at the pool Friday morning, the staining I discussed and solved HERE came back, and this time it was at least twice as bad as that first time a couple of weeks ago. I've added about 8oz of sequestrant twice since my initial treatment as per the instructions on the bottle.

Until this year (the pool is over 12 years old) we've never had a staining problem.

A couple of weeks ago when we noticed staining for the first time, it was mostly near the corners where the floor and walls meet, and on the steps. As you can see from these pictures, it is pretty bad as it is everywhere now:

You can clearly see where I dropped a vitamin C tablet on the ladder. (The blotches in all of these pictures are from the reflection of some trees near my pool.)

ladder.png

In this picture you might be able to see where the tablet rolled into the deep end. Look from left to right starting in the corner.

hopper.png

I added some AA, and it helped loosen most of it.

Problem #2

As seen in the following photos, the seams in my liner collect quite a bit of something from the movement of the water while my pump is running. I've always had a little over the years, but this year it is especially bad. These pictures were taken about 10 hours after I thoroughly vacuumed the pool. In years past, it would have taken about a week to collect this much 'stuff'.

It collects at each seam in decreasing amounts as you move away from the return port.

dust1.png

dust2.png

Are these two problems related? Could it be my filter is not filtering very well? It's about 12 years old like my pool is. Would a DE filter help me with both problems and kill two birds with one stone?

By the way - it started raining just before my daughter's guests arrived, so they all stayed inside anyway. :|

Extra debris accumulating on seams etc is usually from the FC level being a little lower than it should be.

For the stains, it looks like you have not been using enough sequestrant. Once stains are removed from surfaces the metals go back into the water and you need to use sequestrant to bind up the metals so they can not deposit as stains again. Sequestrant needs to be replenished weekly.

JasonLion said:
Extra debris accumulating on seams etc is usually from the FC level being a little lower than it should be.

For the stains, it looks like you have not been using enough sequestrant. Once stains are removed from surfaces the metals go back into the water and you need to use sequestrant to bind up the metals so they can not deposit as stains again. Sequestrant needs to be replenished weekly.

I'll go with more, but that will get expensive really fast if I have to use a couple of bottles per month. :eek:

The extra debris I'm getting does that now regardless of where my FC is. I try and keep it around 5 - 7, and never under 4. Earlier this week (3.5) may have been the only time this year except for the stain treatment a couple of weeks ago when it fell that low.

Another possibility for the debris is extremely fine dust, which can settle out of the water slowly over several days after a storm.

Yes, sequestrant does get expensive quickly. Some brands/kinds work far better than others. So try several before settling down to a single choice. There are a couple of ways of getting the metals out of the water permanently, but all of them are work/money and none of them are especially reliable.

Thanks Jason - good advice.

I'll try a few different ones to see what works best here. I also plan to clean out my sand filter before start-up next spring and check the innards of that beast. I'm sure I'll be checking in here on how to do that!

Thank you again! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.