New here need help.......

Dec 5, 2007
NW Georgia
I have been reading this forum since October and have really learned a lot thanks for the information. I am in the process of have a pool put in well construction will start on Febuary 1st. Pool size is 18X30X46 True "L" IG vinyl pool. I have a few question and would really appreciate any info. I plan on using the BBB method to treat the pool. After reading the thread on the Liquidator I have been convinced that its the way I want to go. I will also be adding salt to the pool somewhere between 1000ppm to 2000ppm. What are the ideal (correct) test results when using the BBB Method and will the salt change what these numbers need to be to keep the pool clean and clear? Again thanks for the info.

Welcome to FTP!

Salt doesn't change how any of the other chemicals work, everything is essentially the same.

What the ideal numbers are for each of the various levels depends on a number of things: what kind of surface you have (vinyl or plaster), what you are using for chlorine (bleach, SWG, trichlor, etc), how much aeration there is (waterfall?), and how much sunlight the pool gets. Tell us some more about the pool, and ideally put that information in your signature, and we can give you some recommendations.

Thanks, I went to profile to add info about pool to my signature. Not sure it took. Pool will be in direct sunlight all day approx. 9 plus hours. No water fall or any thing to aerate the water. I will be adding salt with out a SWG just to make the water feel softer. Being new to having a pool I'll be using the BBB Method to start with. If it works for me then all probly not change to a SWG. Although I am very interested in the AutoPilot. My main question is what should I be shooting for when testing the water
CYA ?
FC ?
TC ?
CC ?
PH ?
TA ?
CH ?
What is the exceptable range for each? I have just place an order for the TF Test Kit so I'll beable to test the pool chemistry my self. I have learned a great deal from this forum. Since October I have read almost every thread on test chemistry. I work with chemicals and Lab testing on a daily bais so understanding the result won't be a problem. Like all test there has to be an exceptible working range.

For that pool good target numbers are:

TC is just FC plus CC
FC - depends on the CYA level, probably 3-6
CC - less than 0.5
PH - 7.2-7.8, ideally 7.4-7.6
TA - 70-90
CH - two schools of thought, either 0 or 100. I suggest leaving it where ever it starts.
CYA 30-50

However, keep in mind that most of them can wander over somewhat larger ranges without causing problems.

Simearl,

Welcome to the forum. I know you didn't seek this advice but I would consider a smaller pump (1.5hp) and a larger filter.

My pool is close in gallonage to yours. I have a 1.5hp pump and a really large (Triton TR-140) sand filter. It has proven to be a nicely balanced combination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.