Krystal Clear SWG by Intex Help

Sue W

Jul 30, 2011
We just purchased this SWG and pump and although our salt content is correct (tested with salt strips)the low salt indicator light is on and beeping and we can't seem to figure out what is wrong. The machine is brand new and we did check but the sensors are clean is there something else we should try. This machine cannot generate chlorine with the indictor on so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Its a new small pool and we filled it and ran the pump for 24 hrs then added salt and ran pump again 24 hrs. In this time we learned that iodide salt is bad so we drained the pool immediately and refilled and immediately added the proper pool salt. It has been all this week and everytime we turn it on (not the pump) the low salt light comes on. We have been running the pump alot so really confused. We are in Belize and go figure they sell with iodide to pool buyers but we have since gotten them to look into it.

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about the Intex SWG to comment on the salt error but what I see as your big issue right now is that there is no chlorine in the pool. You need to add chlorine manually right away until you can figure out what's up with the SWG.

Do you have liquid bleach available? 6% is what is usually sold at the grocery store in the laundry section, or perhaps a pool store has liquid chlorine (10-12% usually). If you go to the pool calculator http://www.poolcalculator.com you can enter in your pool specifications to determine how much chlorine you need to put in to get you going.

Have you ever added any cyanuric acid? CYA is like a sunscreen for your chlorine, it holds about 45% of the chlorine you have in the pool as a reserve while allowing the other 50-55% to remain active and available for the bathers and sun to burn off every day. CYA is essential for outdoor pools, and with a SWG you'll want 60-80ppm of CYA. You will want to check the pool stores for this. Until your SWG is working I'd only add up to 40ppm of CYA because you'll be able to chlorinate the pool manually with less chlorine at this level.

What kind of pump are you running? If it is an intex cartridge pump, I suggest running that 24/7 if it's less than 2000gph. They are not the best of pump/filters.

Do you have any test results other than the salt strip?

My husband did add chlorine this morning from the pool supply store and he was doing all the testing but I do not have the results. When he is back from work soon I will have him reply we are starting to conclude we just got a bad sensor even thought they look perfect. And yes our pool is in full sun so thanks for the heads up re CYA. We are in construction here and actually build pools and we just put a very small above ground concrete pool here to try and market a reasonably cheap pool. I believe this one is only 2000 gallons.

Got any photos?

Without any CYA in the pool, all the chlorine he put in this morning will likely burn off. Prepare to have 0 chlorine tonight, it would be a good idea to test it frequently and make sure it doesn't go below 1ppm. 0ppm CYA you're looking at dosing the pool to 3ppm and then re-dosing once it hits ~1.5ppm as that last .5ppm will go quickly once it gets there.

Let us know what the test results are, and you might want to see if your husband can pick up some CYA on the way home and add in tonight 40-50ppm (full sun pool). This will raise your minimum/maximum chlorine requirements but it will not mean you'll have to use more chlorine, you just won't run all the way out every day.

I have pictures just don't know how to put them on here. I can email though!! My husband said ph a bit high but he put reducer in, we do have the CYA and just now testing the chlorine again is was too low. He said he put the CYA in a few days ago. It is actually a great size pool for just cooling off in I would give you our web page for pictures but I do not want to go againest the rules of advertising here. I did read here to check the fuse and it is OK so stumped might just have to get a new machine oh and thanks for you help!

No our salt reading is over 4000 we have come to the conclusion that the sensor is faulty and we have gone the chlorine route until we can ship a new one in bummer but oh well might try an different make this time any suggestions??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.