Can it be DE or something else?

May 16, 2011
New Jersey
I'm new to TFP but these guys have been helping me out on another issue. I'm in the middle of the shocking process (this is day 6) and I think I have another issue.

I think I have filter issues. Before I left for vacation (end of June) we noticed that there was something "white" coming of out all the returns. Looked a lot like DE. When we got back we took the filter apart, cleaned the grids, resealed the oring and pipe with sealant. No tears in the grids. They looked pretty dirty so we soaked them overnight. Put it all back together. The water has been sparkly clear for the last few days since I started shocking. (I can't pass the OCLT though). Last night I had the pool light on and noticed the "white" stuff again. Only coming from one return....the one closest to the filter. And much better than before but still there. Did the same thing. Took it all apart. Did notice there was somehing "pink" on one of the grids....very small triangular area at the top of one panel. Didn't have any acid to soak but rinsed with hose and it went away. Reassembled. Still have the "stuff" coming from that one return (and probably the others too but it's not very visible). Could the filter be leaking DE? I do have a multiport valve and i've read some stuff to where that may be the culprit??? And what is that "pink" stuff??? Any thoughts?

We also got crazy rain last night that raised the level of the pool up about 3 inches and now I have to drain again this morning. It's over the top of the skimmer.

Thanks for any advice you have.

If there are not any tears in the fabric; what about the plastic skeleton? Are they broken? What about the tips that are inserted into the manifold, can you pinch them easily?..if so, DE can slip by. What about the manifold itself, are there any cracks? Is the air bleeder on the manifold damaged or missing? There should be an o ring on the pipe the manifold fits onto. It could also be the multiport, But, normally DE would return back into the pool right after you add DE if this was the case. You can check it by taking the top section off and look for a slipped gasket or and cracks in the valve itself.

And don't forget to check the o-rings inside the filter as well.

Problems with the multi-port valve can result in some DE getting back into the pool right after the pump starts up, but are quite unlikely to allow DE into the pool while in middle of a normal filter mode run. DE getting into the pool in the middle of filtering has to be a problem inside the filter.

Thank you for the advice. After draining the pool yesterday from the four inches of rain we received we think whatever is leaking looked worse. My husband also said he has a hard time turning the valve between settings.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy person in the central jersey area who can give this thing a good once over????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.