Need recommendation on replacing pump and filter to go green

Jul 30, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Recently purchased a home. There a 15k gallon kidney shape pool (84' perimeter fiberglass) and 750 gallon spa (23' perimeter, not sure if fiberglass). The setup is 11 years old. Pump is a Hayward 2HP 1.55 KW K48N2N104 (SP-1620-Z1-BE) and the filter is Hayward Star Clear Plus 175 sf. The "automation" is an analog timer (start, end markers) on the breaker panel. To filter the spa, I would need to turn a valve marked on the piping as SPA. There is also a 5 panel solar system but 3 panels are bad and leaking. Not put in use but may go back online if the solar warranty pans out.

Because there are other needs to fix up the house, I plan on only changing the pump and filter (should pay for itself in energy savings). Automation will have to come later (Easytouch panel, inside house panel, 4 actuators, plus install maybe $2k?). Here are my choices for the pumps from Googling:

1) Intelliflo VF $1209.97
2) Intelliflo VS 3050 $892.57
3) Intelliflo VS+SVRS $1044.98

Amazon prices since I have some GC's to help with the cost. Since I plan on doing the Automation later (say 2 years down the line). Is my best option the VF or the VS+SVRS given the automation will come later (or much later)? I read from 2 year old posts about adding a flow meter to the VS to help identify the best speed to run it. The additional cost would render the choice moot in favor or the VS+SVRS?

Filter recommended by the pool inspector is a 320 sf model. So go with Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter 160340? He said this would prolong the life of the pump.

So should I just change the pump and filter or open the wallet and add the automation as well? All comments and recommendations are welcomed and appreciated. TIA

Re: Need recommendation on replacing pump and filter to go g

You can always dose with bleach/liquid chlorine every day... like most of us around here.

Is automation really green? I vote for good old peep power...

frogabog said:
You can always dose with bleach/liquid chlorine every day... like most of us around here.

Is automation really green? I vote for good old peep power...

I'm not sure I understand. I'm planning to change out the older pump and filter for a set of new efficient pump and filter so I posed the question of recommendation from the 3 choices I have access to (plus the filter). Can't imagine you mean bleaching daily will keep the pool sanitized and forgo pump and filter needs.

Just going off your 3 choices, I'd have to go with the VS-3050 or the VF. If you want to be able to vary the speed in more than set speeds then the VF wins.

Sorry, I was only responding to the green and possible liquidator part.

Around here when people go green... they sometimes mean saving electricity, or some kind of natural non-poluting better/expensive chemical, but many have made it a life goal for everything they do and they really mean it! Going green is a sort of religion here, green is VERY green to most. I much prefer terming it in ways that refer to me jacking the utility companies out of money cuz I didn't waste the resource (gas, electric, water, etc.). I do green for me, if I do it, lol.

I'm not very green, but if I was going to worry about green I'd forgo more electronics in favor of a nightly pool visit and moment to reflect while pouring bleach. It's not so bad. That's all I meant really, and perhaps you'll forgive my assumption green means the same to you as it does most around me. FWIW... I'd get a liquidator if I had a big pool, I'm lazy like that and again... not so green (unless you count the inked frogs I wear).

Frogabog, the automation refers to controlling the speed of the variable speed pump and directing flow from different areas, such as solar panels, water features, and spas,and running the whole system on a set of timers.

9394888, go with the largest filter you can afford. This will cut down on the frequency of cleaning the filter cartridge. Also, you may want to look into having a waste line plumbed in between the pump and filter. If you ever need to drain the pool or vacuum to waste, a waste line will make your life much easier. Most cartridge filters are not plumbed with a waste line so you would need to request one.
As far as automation goes, if you are not changing the solar panels right away you may want to wait and save your money to put in new automation. That way you will know how your pool reacts to different settings and if you want to add any more features to the pool, which could affect your automation choices.

Bama Rambler said:
Just going off your 3 choices, I'd have to go with the VS-3050 or the VF. If you want to be able to vary the speed in more than set speeds then the VF wins.

are there less expensive pump choices for my pool size that would yield the same energy savings as either Intelliflo pumps? if price is much lower then i would pay vs using the GCs.

zea3 said:
Frogabog, the automation refers to controlling the speed of the variable speed pump and directing flow from different areas, such as solar panels, water features, and spas,and running the whole system on a set of timers.

9394888, go with the largest filter you can afford. This will cut down on the frequency of cleaning the filter cartridge. Also, you may want to look into having a waste line plumbed in between the pump and filter. If you ever need to drain the pool or vacuum to waste, a waste line will make your life much easier. Most cartridge filters are not plumbed with a waste line so you would need to request one.
As far as automation goes, if you are not changing the solar panels right away you may want to wait and save your money to put in new automation. That way you will know how your pool reacts to different settings and if you want to add any more features to the pool, which could affect your automation choices.

thank you for the suggestion.

zea3 said:

OK, got it. Thanks for the correction. Sorry about being confused.

There is nothing quite as efficient as the Intelliflo's but if your electric costs are low they will never reach payback. A 2-speed is probably your best buy. However, if you plan to fully automate you may want the Intelliflo's anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bama Rambler said:
There is nothing quite as efficient as the Intelliflo's but if your electric costs are low they will never reach payback. A 2-speed is probably your best buy. However, if you plan to fully automate you may want the Intelliflo's anyway.
why do u say the intelliflo will never reach payback?
if u buy a VF for $1150 and it saves u $500 year it would take 2 years and change to pay for itself . :blah:

Right IF it saved you $500 per year. I only spend $300 a year now with a single speed pump, so how much do you think I could realistically save with an Intelliflo?
If I pay $400 to replace the single speed I have now with a 2-speed, I'll save about half the power I use now so that would save me $150 a year. The difference between the $400 dollar pump and the Intelliflo is about $600 dollars and even if it saved me half again over the 2-speed (which it won't) It would take me 10 years for it to equal the cost of the 2-speed.

That's why it's not feasible if your power rates are low.

Actually, another option for an IntelliFlo is the new 11018, which is basically the 3050, but with a programmable module installed. You don't actually need to purchase the automation unit (unless you need to do fancier stuff like controlling valve positions, etc). It's about the same price as the 3050:

http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/product_ ... ts_id_6057

In some places, you can get a rebate from your electric company. Here in SoCal, SCE offers a $200 rebate for a variable speed pool pump, but the rebate is less for 2-speed pumps. I would think that it would be easier to see higher savings with a variable vs. 2-speed, since it would be possible to dial in the most efficient flow rate for different functions (e.g. pool circulation, spa mode, cleaner mode, solar mode, etc). Here, the highest tier charged per kW is about $0.35. That's a pretty good incentive to go with a variable speed (along with the $200 rebate, of course)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.