Critter Count - Anyone else have this high a kill rate?

maggiem

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
While this is a bit funny, it is also a bit sad for me and my little boys. Since the pool has been filled, we have found 6 field mice and 4 moles in the skimmers. That's about 3 creatures a week. I am upset by it and we know now to check the skimmers when the boys are not around. Any suggestions on how to keep the little critters from falling in?

Personally I think your going to have to try and get rid of them, making your pool mole/mouse proof seems futile, in my opinion.
I think your best bet is to D-con them, may not be the preferred solution but clearly there is a hygiene/health concern for your family, and their welfare comes first.

I'm sure there's lots of intermediate things you could try but personally I'd just go for D-con.

You could also try reducing the possible source of the problem (clean up cluttered areas if you have any, trim back excessive plant growth around the property, stop composting, etc). If you live in a rural setting, perhaps some outdoor cats to patrol your grounds.
When we bought our house the back yard was severely over grown, I busted my butt clearing out the site. 2 years later the site has better sun penetration, not to mention we added nicer looking gardens so it looks better, and I have noticed far less rodents and insects.
Now, if I can just deal with that raccoon...... :wink:

We cleared a lot of land for the pool area so we think the critter activity may be due to displacement and hope in a few weeks it will subside. My indoor cat brought us 2 a few weeks ago from inside the house. We still have mostly dirt, with plastic sheating over it to stop weeds until we hydro seed in the fall. There are a few new plantings around the pool area and we have 1800 sq ft of decking. They are likely falling into the pool then going into the skimmer basket.

Can D-con be safely used around the pool, a few feet away from the decking maybe?

Cramar - we have a few racoons that loved the bird feeders but the new fence seems to stop them from coming in the yard now. Which reminds me, maybe I should move the bird feeders further back as they are in a temp. spot around 50 ft. from the pool decking edge. Mice could be eating the seed but the moles likely not.

Your probably right on the displacement, perhaps it will settle down a bit after some time.

Not sure on the proximity thing although personally I'd place back from the pool, maybe a short pest control contract is best, hire someone to come and trap a bunch just to thin them out.

PS, my left neighbor snapped a picture of a good sized black bear in front of my right neighbors house 2 weeks ago. Hopefully I don't find that guy in my pool :shock:

We should start a Leader Board.

My pool got it's first mouse the first night we filled it. Since then it has caught at lease 3 more mice and a mole? One mouse was sucked up by The Pool Cleaner and ended up in the pump basket. I fished out 2 lizards too.

The ones I don't like are the guys that hold onto The Pool Cleaner hose. I've had to scoop up 2 of them so far. The lizards get a pass, the mice do not...

It works, but this is a Dang expensive mouse trap :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.