New to pools

Jul 28, 2011
Hi guys ,new to the forum and have a few questions about my pool
I bought a house with a pool ,its an 18X36 gunite in-ground pool ,10 ft at the deep end
I don't like it this deep is there any way the deep end can be raised up to 6 ft maybe 7 tops

??

Thx ,Dave

Agreed. Not to be morbid, but you can drown just as bad in 10' as 2'. People used to freak when we would get at the deep end of the lake and swim off the back of the boat. 60' is no worse than 10'.

As long as you keep your water clear, you shouldn't have to worry.

I still don't have an accurate measurement of my deep end, but do know it's over 9' deep. This picture was taken about 6' back from the edge of the pool. The black dot under the diving board is the main drain. You can easily see it from our house, and our house is about 20 to 30 feet back from the pool.

pool2.jpg

it's mostly a safety concern,but also thinking it might be easier to maintain and heat with a lower amount of water
it's an indoor pool and needs to be heated to keep the water comfortable enough to use it ,even in the summer

davefxsts said:
it's mostly a safety concern
Kids, adults? Here in Minnesota we stress swimming skills...there is a lot of water everywhere...do it early, do it often. RobbieH hit the nail on the head below...you can drown in any water. Taking the proper safety precautions and having appropriate supervision can not be replaced by removing some water (unless you remove all of it).
but also thinking it might be easier to maintain
Water conditions also need to be properly supervised. When that is done, small or big pools can be maintained with equal ease (though in your case you would save a very slight amount of bleach for your potentially slightly smaller pool)
it's an indoor pool and needs to be heated to keep the water comfortable enough to use it ,even in the summer
I doubt you would see much savings, at least outside you loose most heat through the top. What is the typical ambient temperature in the pool room?

I think being indoors will make it even more difficult to change.
Basically what would have to happen is they would have to do is chip the plaster out and then chip the main drain out and completely rebuild the bottom at the shallower (hum, I guess it is a word!) depth and then replaster the whole thing. Probably not as expensive as a new pool but pretty darned expensive.

The temp in the room doesnt seem to have an effect on the temp of the water ,last year was my first year with the pool and it was pretty hot most of the summer
unheated the pool gradually ends up at 50 to 55 degrees,the ground temp is what I think drives the temp of the water ,It was about 150$ a month in propane and that was in the summer
there are skylites and sliding glass doors but the water gets almost no sunlight at all
I guess i will have to experiment with timers to make it more economical

Wow, that is a lot of heating that I would not have expected. When installed, if you know, was there insulation placed under/around the pool? I know very little about indoor pool installation practices. Does sound like you pool tends to head towards typical ground water temperature. What does it do in the winter (where are you by the way)?

I'm in southern NH ,pool was built in 1983 ,bought the house bank owned last year so don't have any contact/info from previous owner
I shut it down last winter because it was too expensive to heat the room and no one is going to swim in 30 degree weather
I'm thinking about a woodstove or pellet stove to heat the room this winter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.