Floor Drain in AG pool?

Jul 28, 2011
I am purchasing a 24' Southport GLX above ground pool. In doing research on these pools, one place said I needed 2 suction floor drains and that they will connect to my sand filter. The other 2 places I shopped at had no idea what I was talking about. Are they trying to rip me off? Are these necessary? Is there alot of maintenance on them? Of course the seller would do the maintenance for me including a hefty monthly fee. I live in a small town and the closest pool seller/supply store is 45 miles away. Do you recommend the floor drains? I'm a total newbie at this and will appreciate any input. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

It's rare for a AGP to have a main drain. There a few people here with them and they like them but there are a lot more without them and they don't have problems. To me it's a place for a potential leak, but that's not a big issue.

In my opinion it's one more thing that could potentially go wrong....I decided not to get them(we got our pool in April) and our pool is doing excellent!!!
Also, If you have cold winters, I believe you'll have to winterize them from freezing...just something to think about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.