Algae Bloom and no CC

Mar 28, 2011
Se Mass
When I am away for work or just getting home late for several days in a row, the pool care is simply ingored by others in the house. The idea is to swim unless it is green then go to the beach.

Knowing that there should be CC from the chlorine killing the algae, my test results puzzle me because I don't get any change of color after adding the five drops of R-0003 during chlorine tests

The FC numbers track very well with the pool calculator when adding chlorine - just the missing CC when I am sure I should get something puzzles me.

FC: 10
CC: 0
CYA: 35
TA: 70
PH: 7.5

Am I doing something wrong, or do I not understand the problem correctly??

With loved ones with that attitude in the house... I'd let the pool go green till they decide they want to help you maintain it properly. Perhaps they love the beach that much more, fine. Go to the beach. It's less messy around the house that way.

Mean mama here btw...

You just might have managed to kill the algae enough to not show CC at the moment (you could try the 25ml sample to get a more accurate result). I'd do a few more tests during the day to see what the average result is. Also, an OCLT pass, and water perception (clear?) would clear up the confusion for you.

Pass all three, you're good to go. Then put the cover on the pool and tell them to buck up and help or just be beach bums and resign to having to wash sand out of their.... ears every day (outside of the house, with the garden hose). :whip:

Sounds like I was simply ignorant of how fast the CC could be dissipated by the wind (almost constant this time of year)

I'll take it up to shock level (14), vacum, clean the the cartidge and let the filter run on continuous - Hopefully it will be sparkly by Saturday for some company (have in the past chastised them for getting pool stored)

The kids live in the pool and are too young to have playing with the chemicals (10 and 12) - the nearest beach is 45 minutes away

After my last trip I closed the pool up for a week during some very hot weather, only resulted in punishing the kids really - worst part is my pool uses 1/8 gallon of 12% a day consistanly so the care could simply be just to put the right amount of chlorine in each day :cry: :cry:

I'd suggest a saltwater generator. We have the cheap intex kind. I still test daily, but rarely have to adjust anything, perhaps either having to tweak the run time or bump FC 1-2ppm a week.

Pardon my assumption the kids were taking themselves to the beach, and as such old enough to contribute. (personally I think my kids are capable of dosing w/bleach at 12y's ... I do realize it is a personal assessment for your family, and I respect that).

Could you perhaps employ an adult who is near the pool every day to put a few cups of bleach in on the days you can't do it yourself?

My 12yo daughter is too petite to safely add the bleach without wearing.g chemical goggles - but that is an option now that it was mentioned

Anyone know the safety of the test reagents? Would be a good science lesson to teach titration testing.

My 8yo daughter does the testing with/for me as does my 11yo son. They both enjoy doing it.

My 12 (oops, 13yo now) son ain't no petite anything lol. I look UP at him now and he frequently thinks my head is a leaning post.

I'm short, so I can hardly reach over the edge of the pool without setting my arms to sleep. I read here earlier this season about floating the bottles of bleach so they are light, plus when you pour you're pouring nearly at water level. No splashing that way. I use a 1 cup measuring cup, pour in and sink the measuring cup to the top and let the water force the bleach out. Has solved any splashing issues, I got myself a few times last year pouring bleach and ruined a shirt.

In ground pools, this might not be quite as comfortable because you're bending over the edge of the pool. But it's nice floating the bleach bottle, sure takes the weight out of them when they're full.

5 gallon carboys however... a bit too big to float.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.