Pool in Spring - couple questions?

Jul 26, 2011
So we have decided to put a pool in next year, I have been reading a lot and it looks like a fiberglass pool is the way to go for us. I plan on doing the following:

Bugging a couple friends who own pools on advice on their systems (some have moved a couple times with new pools in each house).
Reading a lot on the forums.
Getting quotes from a few companies here in SLC.
Asking them what they recommend on pumps, salt water vs,.....

Any other advice on getting a first pool? One of my good friends is a general contractor so I plan on using him for the concrete work and building a small pool house with bathrooms and shower (should save me a little money).

I like Sonar Guard for added "kid" safety and plan on putting up a child fence around the pool. My backyard already has a 5' foot fence with 2 lockable gates. I will ask the pool installers all about local Utah pool laws and talk to my State Farm agent.

What am I missing?

Welcome to TFP!

Don't believe what pool builders recommend for equipment. They don't usually take care of pools, and some will try to get you to go with an oversized pump and act like they are doing you a favor. Consider automation and a variable or multiple speed pump for electricity savings.

Talk to as many of a potential builder's customers as you can. You'll regret it if you go with a low bid without talking to their customers. Be flexible on the type of pool so you can go with the most reliable builder. Some don't do every type of pool.

More than likely your current fence is not acceptable. Most existing fences aren't BOCA pool fence compliant, usually because they aren't climb resistant. I spent $3000 on an aluminum fence around the pool area, and it is great for peace of mind.

There are close to 25,000 members here who take care of a pool daily, and many of us do equipment upgrades and repair as well. We also have several pool professionals. For the most part, you'll get better advice here than you will from a builder except for construction specific issues.

JohnT said:
Welcome to TFP!

Don't believe what pool builders recommend for equipment. They don't usually take care of pools, and some will try to get you to go with an oversized pump and act like they are doing you a favor. Consider automation and a variable or multiple speed pump for electricity savings.

Talk to as many of a potential builder's customers as you can. You'll regret it if you go with a low bid without talking to their customers. Be flexible on the type of pool so you can go with the most reliable builder. Some don't do every type of pool.

More than likely your current fence is not acceptable. Most existing fences aren't BOCA pool fence compliant, usually because they aren't climb resistant. I spent $3000 on an aluminum fence around the pool area, and it is great for peace of mind.

There are close to 25,000 members here who take care of a pool daily, and many of us do equipment upgrades and repair as well. We also have several pool professionals. For the most part, you'll get better advice here than you will from a builder except for construction specific issues.

Thanks for the welcome, my fence is built by Vinyl Industries and is a basic 6' fence (Privacy), so there is really no one to get a grasp to climb over, hopefully it will work? I am pretty cautious and will require pool companies to give me references and visit some pools as part of the deal. Not knowing much and reading the forum is confusing at this point in time, but I am sure I will come to understand more as I read. I am interested in automation and a variable speed pump.

I will also get an automated pool cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.