Taking the Baquacil Conversion Plunge to Chlorine

arbaker

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2011
Springdale, AR
Hello TFP,
I definitely can say I am a rookie at pool maintenance, however I was thrown into the fire from the start and have some good experience already...or should I say bad experience. Moved in to this house in June and the previous owners had not opened the pool yet. Our realtor decided to hire someone to open it as a gift from her...which was very nice, but one of those things that maybe should have waited. The previous owners where on baquacil (for a number of years not sure exactly how many) and that was how it was opened. I did after the fact get a chance to talk to the owner about this infamous "baquacil" product. He explained some stuff that went in one ear and out the other :blah: ...only thing I heard was it would cost around $600 a year in chemicals WOW! I wanted to change right then but it seemed everyone I talked to told me to wait until I open it up next year to convert. :hammer:
Well everything started fine I guess other than a lot of vacuuming...then I developed what I thought was mustard algae which I treated with the Baquacil chemicals (premium algaecide) twice, then came the white algae. It has been a little over a month...3 trips to the Baquacil dealer and $300 dollars later. Time to make the switch NOW!

Read and printed 'Converting Your Baquacil Pool to Chlorine'
Ordered my TF 100 XL test kit on tuesday.
I have 12 jugs of Clorox of bleach (From what I have read that will probably not be enough!)
Camera ready!

These are my current readings as of yesterday (free pool store check).
Baq - Sanitizer and Agitate = 26
Baq - Oxidizer = 6
TA = 96
pH level = 7.4
CH = 221
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
TDS = 250
SI = -0.3

Is my Baquacil number low enought to start...been over a week since anything added?
Should I always pour the bleach in front of the return?
Should I go ahead and get Borax and Baking Soda now...if so how much?
New Sand - Not sure how to determine how much or what kind, I'm guessing there is a label on the filter somewhere with some helpful info?
I was hoping to get started this weekend...If my test kit does not arrive by Friday could I start with a cheap FC test kit from the local Walmart or do you recommend waiting? I work days during the week and would be afraid there might be an build of pressure (due to baquagoo) while I'm gone...should I be concerned about that if I start during the week?
Also, the temperature here like most places this year is over 100°F everyday...will that affect the conversion?
I have 1 bottle of baquacil filter cleaner left...would it help any to use it before or during the process?
I plan on leaving the filter running 24/7 during the conversion process, backwashing as needed...correct?

Any last minute advise? :?:

11,000 gal., AG pool, sand filter, vinyl liner.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you are fine to start the conversion now. Just at first you only need a simple, inexpensive, OTO chlorine test (drops turn the sample yellow which is compared to a color chart). Just wait for the FC level to go down to close to zero, which it will do very quickly at first, and then add more chlorine.

There should be a label on the filter giving a model number. If you can't figure out the model number, post a picture and measure the diameter around the outside of the filter, and we can help you figure it out.

Warm temperatures will not interfere.

The filter cleaner is fairly useless at this point.

Yes, pump/filter on 24/7.

We'll I started the conversion Saturday morning. See pretty pics.

My kit arrived Saturday afternoon...just in time :party: I raised the FC to 15 three times Saturday and Sunday. Sunday morning the FC was 4 and could not see the bottom through the green cloud. Monday morning the FC was at 6 and you could almost make out the bottom of the pool. This morning Tuesday Day 4 the FC was 6 agian, however I only had enough bleach to raise it to 12.5 last night. Today I can actually see what I am vaccuming to waste and the water still has a green tint. Restocking with more bleach today...so far I have used 13 182oz. jugs. I believe I am at the point of only raising FC to 15 in the evening? :roll:

The first time I backwashed the filter on saturday there was some baquaqoo (about a cup), after that I have not see any during backwashing and I have not seen a rise in pressure. The filters are staying fairly clean with very little if any signs of white algea after day two. (Day 3) I noticed little white things floating in the pool after brushing...if I had to compare it to something I would say it look like white fish food flakes. (Day 4)
[attachment=2:seqqv3ol]Before.JPG[/attachment:seqqv3ol]
[attachment=1:seqqv3ol]Start 1.JPG[/attachment:seqqv3ol]
[attachment=0:seqqv3ol]Start 2.JPG[/attachment:seqqv3ol]

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Start 1.JPG
    Start 1.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Start 2.JPG
    Start 2.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 175
[attachment=2:bxf5h97b]Start 3.JPG[/attachment:bxf5h97b][attachment=1:bxf5h97b]Day 1.JPG[/attachment:bxf5h97b][attachment=0:bxf5h97b]Day 2.JPG[/attachment:bxf5h97b]

Attachments

• Start 3.JPG
    Start 3.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Day 1.JPG
    Day 1.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Day 2.JPG
    Day 2.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 175
(Day 4) I came home from work and the water was CLEARER than it was when I left (FC = 0)...the green tint seems to be dissipating. There was a number of patches of what appeared to be brown color algae on the bottom which I vacuumed to waste. I also brushed some film like material off the sides...maybe still traces of the white algae or baquacil??? Raised the FC to 15 in the evening.

(Day 5) - This morning the FC = 9.5 and the water is pretty darn clear...but once again had a few random patches of brown colored algae on the bottom in places.

1)Is the brown colored algae normal during this process is some cases...see pics???? :roll: I have not checked or worried about any other chemical levels other than FC until I can get it to hold < 1 ppm overnight. Not to far away.

2) I have a larger bag of baking soda I bought at sam's in the pool section...what other chemical besides Borate do I need to go ahead and have on hand?
3) I know I will need some CYA...is there a certain kind that is recommended?
4) I have a sandmaster TA1710 with a diameter of approx 72" and a height of 30". See pics of label. The label seems to state 100lbs for the 1700 seriess would that be accurate?
5) I have also attached a picture of my pump...I have one of those flower shaped sprinkler that you attached to your return to cool the water however my return flow is so great it shoots it all the way over the pool widthwise. I guess my question is the pump sized ok for the filter/pool?

Thanks in advance TFP for any and all feedback!
11,000 gal., AG pool, sand filter, vinyl liner.
Almost BBB!!!
[attachment=2:16lg5hjg]Day 5 (1).JPG[/attachment:16lg5hjg]
[attachment=1:16lg5hjg]Day 5 (2).JPG[/attachment:16lg5hjg]
[attachment=0:16lg5hjg]Sand Label.JPG[/attachment:16lg5hjg]

Attachments

• Day 5 (1).JPG
    Day 5 (1).JPG
    471.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Day 5 (2).JPG
    Day 5 (2).JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Sand Label.JPG
    Sand Label.JPG
    468.5 KB · Views: 131

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello TFP.
Day 6 - The FC was 12.5 this morning...I hoping tomorrow morning the loss will be < 1 ppm. I do have a couple of questions... :wave:

1)Should I be concerned about the brown colored algae that keeps collecting at the bottom of the pool..see pics above? I have been vacuuming this stuff to waste and brushing everyday.

2 I have a sandmaster TA1710 with a diameter of approx 72" and a height of 30". See pics of label above abel seems to state 100lbs for the 1700 seriess would that be accurate? I bought 150lbs just in case.

3) I have also attached a picture of my pump...I have one of those flower shaped sprinklers that you attached to your return to cool the water however my return flow is so great it shoots it all the way over the pool widthwise. I guess my question is the pump sized ok for the filter/pool?

Thanks in advance TFP for any and all feedback!
11,000 gal., AG Doughboy pool, sand master sand filter, vinyl liner.
Almost BBB!!!
:lol:

1) Just keep doing what you're doing. It'll settle out soon.
2) 100 lbs looks right.
3) That pump is way too big for that filter but it's not going to harm anything, though it may pump enough flow to channel the sand.

You could take some PVC parts and a valve and build something so that you can bypass the fountain with part of the flow.

Thanks Bama Rambler for the input on splitting the return to reduce the flow to the fountain spray...I will see what I can put together in the plumbing section.

Here is my conversion update:
Day 7 - The FC only went down two points overnight....closer!

Day 8 we were there <1 ppm overnight :goodjob:...changed the sand in the filter, replaced pressure gauge which was reading 34 psi and now is reading 10psi.

Put enough CYA in a sock to reach 30...placed sock in skimmer. Raised FC to 15...checked CC 1hr. later and it was 1.

Day 9 - The FC dropped 1 ppm overnight and the CC was still 1...below are my current readings. Note: I have only added chlorine bleach and CYA since I started the process.

FC - 14
TA - 70
PH - 7.2
CC - 1
I have not checked the CYA level at this point.

I am supposed to maintain the FC at or near 15 until my CC is 0.5 or less two days in a row...Correct? Should I be doing anything else at this point?

Water is looking great...we are ready to get back in!!!
Thanks again.
:p

Hello TFP,

Raised the FC 15 last night which was 4.5 yesterday when I got home...CYA starting to take effect.

Day 10 - This morning my CC was 0.5 hoping tomorrow will be the same :-D :
FC = 13.5
TA = 70
PH = approx 7.6 (not sure how it went up have only added CYA and Chlorine, maybe a false reading?)
CC = 0.5 (Sweet!)
CYA = 0 (Perfored the test but could still see the black dot at 20...only been 2 days since CYA was added.)

Hoping for CC of 0.5 tommorow!!!
Could not add pic's will try again later.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.