Do I need to add algaecide or not?

serge

Nov 2, 2009
Katy, TX
I have owned my pool for 2.5 years now without any major problems...frequent brushing, addition of MA are basically my most demanding chores. Yet, I have noticed algae growing on the inside of the dirt bag of my robot cleaner. I took it out and treated with clorox. I was reading somewhere that clorox only "bleaches" the algae, not really suppressing its growth. If algae is growing in the cleaner, I can assume it is elsewhere in the pooll, correct?

Kind comments appreciated..

I'm confused... How do you chlorinate your pool? Do you read the forum much?

I ask because bleach is what is recommended to kill algae in pools and it's what is recommended to every pool owner who passes through these forums.

Bleach kills more than just algae and while while it does make things whiter (i.e. laundry), it's purpose is to destroy bacteria and it does an excellent job at it. The only reason bleach wouldn't kill algae is if one didn't apply enough bleach and the algae grows back.

Tell us how your water looks and post a current set of test results and we will be able to advise you better. Algae grows when chlorine levels are too low to be effective and in areas of poor circulation. Bleach is very effective for killing algae, that is why most pool sanitizers are based on some form of bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

Welcome to TFP :wave:

What they said:

What does your water look like? Cloudy? Green? Crystal? Murky?
FC = x
CC = x
pH = x
TA = x
CYA = x

Your FC is likely too low vs CYA level.

I do read the forum regularly and follow BBB method as cose as I can. My latest numbers are:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0.0
TC: 4.5
PH: 7.5
TA:50
Salt: 3600
CH: >450
CYA 50-60 range

Water is crystal clear, running pumps 8 hrs (07:00-11:00 Am + 04:00-08:00 PM), clenaer run 1 hour AM +1 hour PM...

Reason I asked is that I read there is Chlorine resistant algae (???) and I wondered if I had one of those growing in my cleaner bag...

Hmm...maybe it's not algae. Could it just be accumlated pollen, dust, etc. Either way, the bag itsel should be rinsed daily. Also, if you have a main drain, is it on? Sometimes there could be deadspots where FC is low due to poor circulation? Either way the OFCLT will confirm if you have algae growing in the pool :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as your FC is never allowed to go below 7.5 % of the cyanuric acid level then the chlorine will kill algae faster than it can grow.

With a cyanuric acid level of 60, you should never allow the FC to go below 4.5. This means that you have to add enough chlorine to account for loss before you test again.

If you expect to lose 3.5 ppm FC before your next test, then you should raise the FC to about 8 or 9 ppm to ensure that the level is always above the minimum.

serge said:
I was reading somewhere that clorox only "bleaches" the algae, not really suppressing its growth.

You know who tells you that? Guys who want to sell you copper-based algicide, which is good if you want to stain your pool and turn your hair green. Not so good if you want a trouble-free pool.

Oddly enough, I've even seen a site hawking copper algaecide that claims algae is a fungus (it isn't, it's in an entirely different kingdom from plants or fungi), that algae is invisible until you kill it and then it turns green, and that new algae is introduced by rainwater. Each statement is demonstrably false, but they'll make the statement to try and scare you away from chlorine and into expensive unnecessary products.

As described in this scientific peer-reviewed paper, bleach kills bacteria by oxidizing proteins to cause them to unfold and then aggregate. Without essential proteins, the bacteria is killed, unable not only to reproduce but to continue to live (metabolize, etc.). The same sort of process is likely to occur with algae as well, but it requires higher chlorine levels than for most bacteria possibly because algae cell walls are more difficult to penetrate. It is true that bleach oxidizes chlorophyll causing it to no longer color the algae green, but it most certainly does not stop there and continues to oxidize and interfere with many nitrogenous compounds, not just proteins, but DNA itself.

Note that the EPA Registration for Clorox Bleach shows under uses that it is an "algaecide" which means it kills algae, not just removes it green color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.