Converting 16' Easy Set pool from chlorine to SWCG??

Jan 10, 2008
I'm new here so I apologize if this question has come up a thousand times already (please point me where I need to read).
Last summer I bought a 16' Round AG Easy Set pool. Set up was great but I found it extremely difficult to get my levels up where they needed to be. PH was very low always and nothing I did brought it up where it needed to be. I was then worried I was floating in a chemical bath that would surely rot out my teeth! :-D
After last season we took the pool down and stored it because I wanted to clean up the foundation for a flatter surface next year. Well, it's next year and I'm trying to decide if I want to fool with the chemicals again or switch to the SWCG. Are the levels easier to maintain with a SWCG as opposed to the freshwater chlorine/chemical soup?
I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on maintaining this simple pool but I also don't want my son's new big boy teeth decaying prematurely.
I am also upgrading this season to a 1500 gpm filter/pump rather than the 800 gpm pump that fried last year and didn't seem to keep the pool clean anyways.
Any suggestions?????
What about the foundation itself? Would concrete stepping stones work or should I go with sand? Does the drop cloth go over the sand or under? Thanks so much! I appreciate it greatly.

Welcome to TFP!

There are a couple of models of SWG specifically designed for above ground pools. I am sure you would do fine with one of those, just as I know that we can help you get your chemistry under control with less work even without a SWG. The big advantage of a SWG is connivence, they cut down on the amount of work you need to do to keep everything right. But balance that out by the cost of the SWG and it may or may not be worth it for you.

A larger pump and filter are a wonderful idea.

I suggest you do some reading in The Stickies, there is a link in the sub-heading of each page, particularly some of the BBB and chemistry material.

I second what Jason said about reading The Stickies...

Let me clear up something for you... an SWCG does NOT eliminate the need for other chemicals. It is simply a different method for the application of chlorine. You still need said chlorine (whether from bleach or an SWCG) to keep your water sanitary and safe (free of algae and bacteria), and you need other chemicals to keep your water properly balanced. A properly maintained chlorine pool will NOT harm your sons pearly whites!! (and a SWCG pool IS a chlorine pool!)

One of the best investments you can make is a good drops-based test kit, such as the TF-100 linked in my signature, if you don't already have one. The Taylor K2006 would be my second choice.

Feel free to ask other questions! One of our moderators installed the Intex SWGC on her AG oval pool last summer, and was quite happy with the results. ETA Here is a link to her thread...

Welcome to TFP!

Welcome and if you decide to go with a SWG, please keep in mind that you should start the conversion with all your levels where they should be and allow it to maintain from there. You will find it to be a very smooth and nearly trouble free transition that way.

Too many people want to have a SWG solve a problem and they are not meant for that - they are just another maintenance product that takes the place of adding chlorine - it makes it for you instead of having to add it. All other chemicals still need to be used and added as need be. Cleaning still needs to be done as well. Good luck!

Set pool floor

Hi Cindy. I can't answer about the SWG but I can about the floor. What was wrong with the floor last year? For my floor we had to dig out part of the yard, remove the grass and add week killer. We rakked and raked for a few weeks after the snow melted. I added a few bags of sand to smooth out some areas and we used parts of patio blocks for where some of the legs went as we had a slight slope in the yard. The tarp went down next and then the pool. The ladder is on the side that is lowest and flatest. I don't know that I'd want my kids jumping in and around a ABG with a hard bottom on it. I like the idea of the ground giving a little bit instead of being wacked on by concrete or blocks. IMHO Kimrst

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.