Baquacil Green/brown pool

Jul 28, 2011
We recently got an above ground 15 x 42 inch metal frame pool, filled about a week ago. We are using Baquacil. Everything was fine until it rained 3 days ago and the water within an hour turned green. Checked the next day with the local pool store and was told to add 1/2 gallon of oxidizer and that should clear it up. We had also previously added algicide. It appears to have turned the water brown, I am assuming dead algea? Have been running the filter constantly since. Chemical balance seems in check. Pool store couldn't seem to offer any other suggestions or tell us approx how long to wait before doing something else. Pool doesn't seem slimy but water is very cloudy brown. Just looking for suggestions as to what else we should do. Do we just have to wait longer? We are getting very frustrated and are considering not having our pool next year if this cannot be corrected.

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry to say, but out of the almost 25,000 members here, we have numerous former Baquacil users, but very few if any current users.

In general with algae, you want to maintain your oxidizer level and run the filter 24/7. I would suspect you need to check your oxidizer level fairly often to get the water clear.

What are your current #'s after your test and how many gallons is it? It sound like you never really had the pool 100% cleared up after you opened it.

To clear up the brown/green is suggest raising your baquashock levels to at least 10. Do this by adding the oxidizer at night and letting the pump run. This should mostly clean up the pool. After that add the sanatizer to raise the levels to around 50-60 if my memory serves me correct. Last after the pool is clear add the algicide and clean the filter. Make sure you PH is in the ballpark as well, as I'm guessing with the rain the numbers will be high.

We had the pool water tested at the pool store and have adjusted the ph and alkalinity to normal levels. Oxidizer is still high since we shocked it. Also we added Iron out because the water had turned brown. We have replaced and cleaned the filter numerous times because it is filled with brown sludge. The water looks clearer and is no longer brown/green but the water is cloudy grayish color and I am unable to see the bottom. Added water clarifier this morning and the water is still cloudy. If this doesn't work not sure what to try next. Thanks for the suggestions, adjusting the levels has helped but not cleared up completely yet.

It may take some time for your filter to clear up all the fine debris in the water. You should either run the pump 24/7 until the water is clear or you might also try turning the pump off for 24 hours to let the debris settle and then vacuum the pool.

How has your filter been behaving? Filter pressure should be going up steadily and you will most likely have been needing to clean the filter occasionally. If one of those things is not true, then there may be some problem with your filter.

The filter seems to be functioning normally. Slows down some when filter starts to get buildup. When I remove the filter and clean it pressure returns to normal. Thanks for the suggestions about turning the filter off. I have been running the filter 24/7 for a few days dealing with this mess. If I continue to see no improvement I will try turning it off to see if that lets it settle.

SophiePool said:
I am going to chlorine next year for sure. Hoping to get this year straightened out on baquicil and then converting next year when I drain and reset my pool.

Hey there, welcome to the forum! You will be very glad you converted to bleach when you do. You actually be able to ENJOY your pool and be safe in clear sparkling water. I know summer is closing soon, but you could do it now if there is enough time left to make it worthwhile. Texas here and we have at least a month left.

I work with a guy whose wife convinced him to go the Baquacil route because chlorine was just sooooo "icky".

Well, so was his pool. It never worked. The poor guy was constantly cleaning algae from his pool liner. I could never convince him to convert. Finally a neighbor of his got an in-ground pool and since his kids were always over there anyway he sold his pool as fast as he could. Can't say I blame him.

Moral of the story: Baquacil simply doesn't work. Chlorine in the levels that are (supposed to be) in your pool will not harm you.

CONVERT!

When I told him about my recent algae bloom because my auto-chlorinator ran out of tabs he laughed and said 'that's why I got rid of my pool'. A few days later when my water was back to crystal clear again I told him about it and reminded him of why he really got rid of his pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.