Pool leak please help!!!

Jun 21, 2011
WA
Hi, I joined this earlier in the summer and I talked about a leak while at same time cleaning my pool. Now middle of summer bunch of things happened. We had to wait 3 weeks for pool guy to come out, we live rurally and only 1 place around here doing service. By the end of the almost 3 weeks we noticed it wasn't leaking just normal amount from sun. So we didn't understand what was up but we gratefully cancelled appt.

Then fast forward to last week we left for 5 days and pool was off and started to get a bit green not bad so I immediately did shock with bleach and followed all your directions leaving filter on 24/7 for days and then we noticed leak came back!

At this point I realized the first leak earlier in the summer was when we were cleaning out the pool and leaving the filter on for days.

The pool guy is filled up till end of summer, they told us to get dye kit but I am reading a bunch of different stuff like dye is for leaks inside pools only, need to do some kind of pressure test for this??

We called large city 3 hrs away and they said it will be $650 for them to come out and find leak, and of course if its in the pipes we will have to dig to find it...I feel very confused and husband and I are unsure whether to spend the money for them to come from the city. My husband thinks he might be the one who caused the leak from opening the pool himself to save money, he thinks he left some plugs in when he turned on for first time saw the pressure up real high and turned pump off. Doesn't know how long it was this way.

What could he have done?

My husband is not a do it yourself kind of guy, he sometimes thinks he is and it always costs us more money. Just saying that I can imagine what all you guys are thinking! I am sorry but as a wife of that type of guy it is very very hard. Its impossible to tell them not to do it then impossible to deal with the messes they create.

Money of course is tight because we are retired now so that is why we try to do stuff ourselves. What would you all advise?

If leak seems to happen only after filter turned on for long periods of time what does that mean?

Tell us more about your equipment (pump, filter, heater, etc). That'll give us an idea of where to start.
If you have a filter with a backwash valve it may be leaking from the backwash port while it's in filter mode. That happens quite often when the leak shows up when the pump is running.

I checked and don't see water around the pump while its on. I have a Hayward Sand Filter and Coates Electric Heater. I think the pump says Hayward on it too.

We filled the water up just a few days ago to top of filter box and within just a few days it was to the point where when I turned on filter today it was making a weird air noise in one of the boxes not much water was making it in, so I turned off and started adding water, then used filter today all day. Water is down a inch or so since then.

Two things happened at beginning of pool season one Mike accidently left some plugs in when he first turned on filter and two one of the fittings the one you connect auto pool sweep broke while he was trying to take off plug and he replaced it.

So we weren't sure if he screwed up the filter, the area near the new fitting or a pipe from pressure...

A friend of mine says it might be the gasket in the filter...does she mean a seal for it???

The gasket your friend is talking about is the spider gasket. That's why I mentioned the backwash port. If the spider gasket in the valve is bad it can leak water out the waste line and if it's hard piped, you won't see it leaking.

Look at the pipe (or hose) where the dirty water comes out when you put the filter in Backwash to clean it. Is there any water there when pumping normally? If there is, even a trickle, then the gasket inside the filter is leaking and causing your water loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.