My DE filter. Advise needed.

Jan 5, 2008
Dallas TX
I am a new owner of an old pool (built in 93).
I never had a pool before so for me this is all new stuff.
My DE filter work psi should be between 10-20 per the manual.

When I backwashed it and it had no powder in it (well theoretically anyway) the pressure in it was 15psi.
Should I open the filter and clean the grids?
Also can I do it by myself ? is it a complicated task ?

I would go ahead a take it apart and clean it completely, especially if this is the first time you have confronted the filter, you really have no idea what condition the filters are on the inside, and yes you can do it your self. When I back wash and then add the DE I can't remember that much of a difference in pressure, after a fresh batch of DE mine usually runs at 15psi and I start backwashing when it reaches 18-20 and completly clean the filter twice a year

Rob

I started with a DE filter just under a year ago and agree with Rockcrawler. Taking the filter apart is not difficult -- just take your time and follow the instructions in the manual. They're actually fairly simple and come apart without too much trouble. I do find a second pair of hands is helpful during re-assembly to help hold the ring in position while tightening the bolt.

Once a year disassembly and cleaning is the minimum. And this would only be appropriate in areas where there is a short swimming season. After one year of experience, I'm going to disassemble and clean the filter after 3 months of use. I keep the pool open for about six months. So, I clean mine at the end of the season and once roughly in the middle.

Also, remember that DE is a carcinogen when inhaled. It's best to keep it wet while you're working on it and dispose of any DE in a manner which doesn't disperse DE dust.

If you want to give yourself a good scare, look at the MSDS for DE. The key sentence is "Chronic inhalation of crystalline silica is a lung cancer hazard." Note the word chronic. I'm not so worried about the few minutes each week I'm handling the DE powder -- I just hold my breath while pouring it. I'm more worried about what washes out of the filter and dries on the ground.

You could probably figure out how to open the filter without the manual, I did. It will be easier with a manual. It's certainly worth the time and effort to look it up.

If you are worried about the DE washing out on the ground, invest in a separation tank. This will catch the DE in a bag and it will not wash out anywhere. In many areas this is a code requirement for a DE filter too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.