cloudy water

benhiers

Jul 20, 2011
My pool water is cloudy after the kids swim.If they stay out a day it gets alot better but still hazy,Im using the BBB method.I dont have a good test kit yet but my chlorine is 3 Ph is 7.6 .took a sample to pool store they said cya is 50.they told me phosphate were high and tried to sell me phosphate remover.I told them I have some at home.please help.....

The first thing you need to do is bump your FC up. The minimum for a CYA of 50 is 4 and I suspect the pool store's reading. it may be higher than that. You should aim for the top of the range (6) so that it never gets below the bottom number.

A good test kit would be your friend. Get the TF-50 if you already have a pH test.

Of course they told you phosphates were high. Don't you love it!

FC needs to come up some.

Need the rest of the test results really. Pics would be good, too. I've seen cloudy water when CH and TA are off. Your pH is good if that is accurate.

thanks guys,I know I need a good test kit,I am working on it.kids just got out of the pool,gonna go test it now.I think yall are right about cya being higher.I have been using pucks all summer.Just found out reading here that they raise your cya.will post what readings are right after kids got out.

check after kids got out wasn't as cloudy as it has been could actually see the bottom,but chlorine was down to about 1.added some bleach to it,gonna pump run and check it later.

I'm not going to address the chlorine issue, others have already started you on the track to fixing that part.

I do suggest that you get a proper test kit however, it is essential.

I have been battling cloudy water after swimming all season. I know my water chemistry is good, and the cloudiness is the result of swimmers stirring up fines that my filters couldn't catch because I too find the water is clear the next day after everything settles to the bottom.

Two nights ago a member here asked me what my filters were made out of and told me about walmart's Intex type filters (two pack). I just happened to have a pack of those in the garage. The filters I was using were Intex brand, and looked like dryer sheets (spun fiber). The walmart filters have tiny dots all over them (like a miniscule version of a solar cover).

I changed out the filters w/the walmart ones and brushed the pool debris up real good. 3 hours later I could not see any fines on the floor. Water very clear. I cleaned both filters yesterday, replaced them and vacuumed the large stuff. Today, the floor is completely free of fines. WOW!

If you're seeing cloudy after swimming and you have filters that look like dryer sheets... try changing to the walmart brand. I honestly can't believe the difference.

Hope this helps.

thanks will look for the walmart brand filters,think our walmart has already stopped selling the filters for the season.I know I need a good test kit am working on it.checked water just a few mins ago chlorine was 5 or above my kit only goes to 5,ph was 7.6.will check again before bed tonight.water is hazy but can see bottom.

Chlorine should be in the 4-8ppm range. If you only dose to 5ppm, you'll loose enough every day to fall below minimum, which is 4ppm.

I dose to the maximum every night in preparation for the next day (unless I skip a dose because I know the clouds protected my chlorine that day). When I add chlorine, I always aim for the maximum regardless.

frogabog said:
I'm not going to address the chlorine issue, others have already started you on the track to fixing that part.

I do suggest that you get a proper test kit however, it is essential.
this is why sand filters are the way to go...........
I have been battling cloudy water after swimming all season. I know my water chemistry is good, and the cloudiness is the result of swimmers stirring up fines that my filters couldn't catch because I too find the water is clear the next day after everything settles to the bottom.

Two nights ago a member here asked me what my filters were made out of and told me about walmart's Intex type filters (two pack). I just happened to have a pack of those in the garage. The filters I was using were Intex brand, and looked like dryer sheets (spun fiber). The walmart filters have tiny dots all over them (like a miniscule version of a solar cover).

I changed out the filters w/the walmart ones and brushed the pool debris up real good. 3 hours later I could not see any fines on the floor. Water very clear. I cleaned both filters yesterday, replaced them and vacuumed the large stuff. Today, the floor is completely free of fines. WOW!

If you're seeing cloudy after swimming and you have filters that look like dryer sheets... try changing to the walmart brand. I honestly can't believe the difference.

Hope this helps.

this is why sand filters are king imho

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
benhiers said:
after a few days with chlorine at 5 or more water is clear,vacuumed bottom good,now water is good and clear,guess with cya high I need to kepp chlorine at about 5.

your cya is perfect at 50 dont raise it any more just know that fc level of 4 is the minimun fc level you want to let if get down to....

Your question, spurs more questions than answers.
If you can please provide the other results? CH, TA etc... CC, is the one I'm curious about. If you keep it at FC at 4 or 5 and you had a drop to 1, you might have more going on than just sun loss and sanitation.

Also frogabog makes a good point about your filtration. The other question I'd ask is how many hours a day do you run your pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.