Had a HUGE load on my pool this weekend!

JJSeabrook

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2011
15K gal pool and had about 15-20 people in there the whole time from about 3 p.m. Sunday until about midnight. Chlorine was at 4 before the party. PH was 7.5. CYA 45. T/A 90. After they were in there for a few hours I saw the pool clouding and added a pound of shock. I put the brisket on the night before and got up at 5 a.m. to check on it Sunday morning before the party. Checked the chemicals and all was beautiful. Pool was crystal. Wrapped the brisket about 7 a.m. and gave it until 9:00...almost 11 hours at 225 degrees, but it was a HUGE trimmed brisket, which turned out perfectly by the way.

Anyway, they arrived about 3:00 p.m. Sunday and by 3:15 I had 14 people in the pool. I was only expecting 10-12 people the whole afternoon and evening for my son's party, as that is usually what he has to show up. Looked like a darn wave pool in a water park. People were all over the place. LOL At around 8:00 I tested the water and the chlorine had dropped significantly to barely reading 1, so I put 2 lbs. of shock in the deep end as they were staying in the shallow end. I hoped that would clear up the cloudiness, and it did some once the chlorine disbursed. I'm exhausted and go to bed about 10:00. Get up Monday morning and it's cloudy as heck. Test the water and I get basically no chlorine reading at all. I'd probably get more out of testing tap water. 5 drops and she's clear.

I put 4# of cal hypo in there when I get home Monday night and Tuesday morning she's pretty clear, not crystal as it has been. Quite a bit of junk on the bottom after running the pump all night and bringing it up to 5 or so. I'm fairly pleased. I get home this evening and it's a cloudy mess. Been running the X8 since about 5:00 p.m....I didn't get home til about 9:00. Did a backwash, did a rinse, checked the chemicals and FC is at 3 and PH is right almost exactly at 7.5. Did no other tests this evening. My chems are basically good, without running a full test. CYA shouldn't have changed. I KNOW I have to run a full test of the chems.

How does one prepare for such a huge load on a pool? Do you just shock it up crazy and ruin lots of swimsuits? It's cloudy as heck right now, but after backwashing and rinsing I hope that clears by morning. It was just a LOT of people in a small pool. 15-20 people in a 15K gal pool for that many hours is bound to cause problems. Not really sure how to handle that in the future. Any ideas?

JJ

You need to shock your pool at a FC of 18 based on your CYA. Continue shocking until the FC loss overnight is 1 ppm or less, the CC is 0.5 or less, and the water is clear.

By being proactive and raising the FC in your pool by 1, 2, or 3 ppm above target for your CYA, depending on the expected number of swimmers in the pool, you aren't going to ruin any swimsuits. You will however, help yourself to avoid cloudiness or algae blooms associated with low or no FC in the water due to swimmer waste using it all up.

257WbyMag said:
You need to shock your pool at a FC of 18 based on your CYA. Continue shocking until the FC loss overnight is 1 ppm or less, the CC is 0.5 or less, and the water is clear.

By being proactive and raising the FC in your pool by 1, 2, or 3 ppm above target for your CYA, depending on the expected number of swimmers in the pool, you aren't going to ruin any swimsuits. You will however, help yourself to avoid cloudiness or algae blooms associated with low or no FC in the water due to swimmer waste using it all up.

Thanks, 257! I'll give that a shot next time! Probably won't happen again til next summer.

JJ :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.