stuck sta-rite skimmer basket lid

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
The simmer lid is stuck on my dads pump. It moves a few degrees but returns when you let go. Therefore it seems like the o-ring swelled up and is making it stick. I've cranked on it pretty hard with some big channel locks and tried a long breaker bar with no luck. Is there any tricks or something I can spray to unstuck it?

One trick is to have the pump running when you try to break it loose. That can sometimes make the lid easier to turn. If it's the type with the notch in the top that accepts a 2X4 for leverage, you may be able to get some serious leverage that way.

I have two of Sta-Rite pumps that I bought at an auction for parts that are on the trailer to go to the landfill. Both have good lids and pump housings, so if you break something I might be able to help you out.

I have tried with the 2x4. It moves and looks like it's gonna go, but then when you stop applying pressure, it just returns to the original position as if it were siliconed shut; a very rubbery feel. I just can't break the grip that it has on it.

n8huntsman said:
I have tried with the 2x4. It moves and looks like it's gonna go, but then when you stop applying pressure, it just returns to the original position as if it were siliconed shut; a very rubbery feel. I just can't break the grip that it has on it.

You might try pouring a gallon or so of very hot water over the lid before twisting.

Not Vaseline but some sort of lubricant. White lithium grease or something. Its now been a while but initially it wasn't too long which is why I suspect oring swell. I'll try some hot water or maybe even a torch to get the lid to expand. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.