Latest Test Results

Murphy

Jul 26, 2011
Hello all,

Been lurking from time to time, but just registered to contribute.

I've had my 16x34 IG Fiberglass pool for about 5 years. Switched to the BBB method after the first year of ownership. Had nothing but trouble with the pucks. All has been pretty good since. Seem to always have 1 issue a year.

Had a general question about water balance. I use a Taylor k-2006 test kit. I've never paid attention to the water gram. Does anyone use it? I've always just adjusted the various parameters to suggested levels without realizing they play off one another for overall balance, yes? My understanding is to use it to determine which of 3 variables to use to bring the water into balance. Based on my latest test results I would either have to raise my CH or my PH to bring the water into balance. Yes?

FC 5
PH 7.2
TA 120
CH 160
CYA 30
water temp 82

Thanks.

With a fiberglass pool you need to raise the CH. You'll do yourself a favor if you read pool school especially about levels.
It'll be much easier if you learn to use the Pool Calculator too. It'll give you recommended levels based on the rest of your parameters.

I'm working to get the CH above 220. My understanding was CH was more important for concrete pools and not so much for liner or fiberglass.

I've read pool school. I understand how to adjust everything and what to use. I'm interested in learning about the overall balance and relation of each of the parameters to others. Always reading advice here to adjust x because y is low, or you may want to raise z with x being low, etc... Just wanting to understand more why.

Murphy said:
I'm working to get the CH above 220. My understanding was CH was more important for concrete pools and not so much for liner or fiberglass.

I've read pool school. I understand how to adjust everything and what to use. I'm interested in learning about the overall balance and relation of each of the parameters to others. Always reading advice here to adjust x because y is low, or you may want to raise z with x being low, etc... Just wanting to understand more why.
Welcome to the forum :wave: The CH level recommendation for fiberglass is based on learning that these levels help prevent cobalt staining.

You could hop over to do some reading in Testing and Balancing Your Water, Chemistry 201 & The Deep End. Lots of discussions there.

Oh, and please do check out the PoolCalculator.com. You will be properly impressed :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.