DE Pro Grid Filter Upgrade?

$yring

Jun 24, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
So one of our filters for our Hayward Micro Clear D.E. has a hole in it, and it's kicking sediment back into the pool (after our latest haboob).

We just bought the house, and I have NO idea when (if) they were ever changed, so I was just going to replace all of them. The set that's in there is of the 24 sq ft variety. Is it worth a couple extra buck to bump up to the 36 sq ft or higher?

I'm sure there is some sort of cost/benefit ratio that plays here. Not sure what would be overkill for our ~15,000 gallon pool and I'd like to hear some of your options.

Just replace the one damaged grid $20
If the grids are all in questionable condition, then consider a set of 7 grids $120

It is a lot more than a couple of extra bucks to upgrade.
To upgrade to larger grids, would require replacing the entire filter. The 24 sq ft grids are only 12" tall. The larger 36 sq ft grids are 18" tall and would not fit inside the smaller filter housing.
A new 48 Sq ft filter is approx $650

With proper water balance, you should not have any issues with the 24 sqft filter.
Hayward recommends the 24 sq ft filter for pools up to 23,000 gallons.
http://www.poolcenter.com/filter-haywar ... ochure.pdf

The larger 36 or 48 sq ft filters won't provide "better" filtration, but will provide much longer run times before the need to backwash. The question you need to answer is would it be worth it to you to spend $650 to be able to backwash 2 times per season instead of 4?

PSG

Welcome to TFP!!

To upgrade to larger grids, would require replacing the entire filter. The 24 sq ft grids are only 12" tall. The larger 36 sq ft grids are 18" tall and would not fit inside the smaller filter housing.

As a consideration, the entire filter wouldn't need to be replaced, just the top to accommodate the larger grids :)

The bottom ~1/2 of these filters are all the same, as the grids get bigger, the top gets higher. You could reuse the manifold but would need to get the longer threaded rod to secure the manifold. This is probably a less expensive way to do it, but make no guarantees, given Hayward's pricing strategy :p

Ted, You are correct about Hayward's pricing strategy.

Don't forget you would also need the taller outlet elbow and the upgraded clamp/o-ring assembly.

$330 filter head 48 Sqft
$190 updated clamp spring assembly with new style o-ring
$ 45 Outlet elbow
$ 40 retaining rod
$135 grids 48 sq ft
----------
$740 :whip:

Or you could purchase a new complete filter for $650 :wink:

PSG

Awesome info!
I think I'll just replace the 24 sqft grids. Since we just bought the place, I'd like to start new with the filters since I have no clue when (if) they've been changed or how long they've been used. They do look pretty worn just from the stretching of the fabric and such.
Thanks again!

Poolschoolgrad said:
Ted, You are correct about Hayward's pricing strategy.

Don't forget you would also need the taller outlet elbow and the upgraded clamp/o-ring assembly.

$330 filter head 48 Sqft
$190 updated clamp spring assembly with new style o-ring
$ 45 Outlet elbow
$ 40 retaining rod
$135 grids 48 sq ft
----------
$740 :whip:

Or you could purchase a new complete filter for $650 :wink:

PSG

Thank you for reminding me of the other parts that would be needed to 'upgrade' the filter :goodjob: :bowdown:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.