SWG, Chlorine or other

Jul 25, 2011
About three years ago I surveyed this forum and it seemed equally divided. I was wondering what people would think would be best for me 3 years later. I live in Ohio, so pool is open 4 months, two of which are hot and humid. What would you recommend and why? Vinyl liner and automatic pool cover if that matters.

Well, if you can afford the cost of a SWG that seems to be the way to go. With your pool being covered you chlorine usage should be on the low side and a SWG would just make it that much easier. If you don't mind the daily testing, stick with chlorine. Right now I am using chlorine because I don't have the $1000 sitting around that I can purchase a SWG with.

With the swg you will be spending less time testing and adding chlorine. You will still have to test, although maybe not as frequently once you get a feel for it (I tend to run my swg levels a little high for a cushion... = less testing), you will likely have to add some acid on occasion to bring your ph levels down... this is typical for any swg. If you start the season w/your TA & ph balanced, the ph rise is minimal.. I've added acid to bring down my ph once this season.

I really like it because I don't have to buy, store, and lug chlorine to the pool, and very seldom have to add anything. I will occasionally adjust my swg up or down due to swimmer load, temps, debris, etc.

If it's only open 4 months I would recommend a chlorine injection system. The testing requirement shouldn't be any different no matter which chlorination method you choose. You should test at least every other day regardless.

I too live in Ohio.
I just purchased a CompuPool SWG and installed it this year. Once I got the settings right, it seems to be holding it's own.
I run my pump 12 hours a day at 30% (well with this heat wave, I've kept it at 40%). When I know I'll have people swimming I bump it to 50% just to keep up with any demand.
I check every 2-3 days now, and Levels seem to be holding.
Now I only keep 1 case of Chlorine on hand, if I see the levels are dropping too fast and need to shock, or when I'm ready to close for the season.

But it's all a personal preference. I was tired of buying Chlorine, and adding it every night. There would be times I would be gone and forget to add some, or something would come up. The result is I would end up w/ Algae. This just makes it easier to maintain in that regard.
So there is no right or wrong choice, It's just what you feel you want/need.

RobbieH said:
BadOleRoss said:
Right now I am using chlorine because I don't have the $1000 sitting around that I can purchase a SWG with.

Not to mention the cost of the salt. I calculated that recently. OUCH!

I Took a print out from Walmart to Lowes. Lowes price matched, so I got my bags of salt for less than $4.00 a bag.

You don't have to buy the bags that say Pool Salt on them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.