Soon to be Intex owner...permit question

tcj615

Jul 26, 2011
Hello from Maryland. Just wondering if a permit is required for an Intex Pool? Does anyone know? I can't imagine the counties have enough time to police an inflated pool, but I am just curious....We are in Howard County.
Thanks in advance!

DBfan187 said:
I would hope not.

You might be surprised then. If it is taller than 24", a permit is required.

From the website:

BUILDING PERMIT

A building permit is required for all inground and above ground swimming pools constructed in Howard County. Wading pools less than 24 inches deep do not require a permit.

For answers to general questions, call 410-313-2455.

Now, of course, this is what is "legally" required. What is actually done, I have no idea, especially if no hard plumbing or wiring is done.

Yup...many folks have no idea about the permit requirements. The concern is not that the town will fine you, but god forbid an incident should occur and you are found to be out of complaince with the required saftey code...well :roll:

Thanks for the feedback. i had already read the policy however was hoping for a response from someone who actually was in the same situation. Given this is not a construction, but an inflated device, I am hoping that my logic holds and that it is exempt, like a temporary structure. If someone lives in a similar environment, please share your experience.
thank you

DBfan187 said:
that's rediculous

Since you are in the industry, can you elaborate? Pool saftey is pool saftey regardless of the type of pool. If it presents a drowning hazard at least comply with what your local ordinance/state requires. Or perhaps I'm being dense...and no I am not a town inspector or gov't employee, just curious why you feel following code is rediculous. Besides collecting permit fees....It's in place to protect the end user :scratch:

I do. anything deeper than 24" requires you to follow code. Getting caught is not the concern.

http://www.dos.ny.gov/DCEA/currpoolreq.htm

Definition of “swimming pool”
The term “swimming pool” is defined in the Uniform Code as “any structure, basin, chamber or tank which is intended for swimming, diving, recreational bathing or wading and which contains, is designed to contain, or is capable of containing water more than 24 inches (610 mm) deep at any point. This includes in-ground, above-ground and on-ground pools; indoor pools; hot tubs; spas; and fixed-in-place wading pools.”1

NOTE: A pool which is capable of containing more that 24 inches of water is a “swimming pool” (and is subject to all applicable Uniform Code provisions relating to “swimming pools”) even if the pool is filled to a depth of less than 24 inches.

dmanb2b said:
DBfan187 said:
that's rediculous

Since you are in the industry, can you elaborate? Pool saftey is pool saftey regardless of the type of pool. If it presents a drowning hazard at least comply with what your local ordinance/state requires. Or perhaps I'm being dense...and no I am not a town inspector or gov't employee, just curious why you feel following code is rediculous. Besides collecting permit fees....It's in place to protect the end user :scratch:
So everyone who buys an Intex pool there has to get a permit? Walmart and the like must have an abundance of pools in stock there. Because I can't see people buying them and then paying for the permit.

I don't know though, I guess it's because of where I'm located aboveground pools aren't considered permenant installations, thus don't require a permit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No they don't, heck there are folks that install pools, do their own electrical, put on home additions without a permit every day. The code does not prohibit you from buying or selling, nor does the seller care if you are going to swim in it or use it as a holiday ornament :lol: My point is if there is as code requirement, as there is in NYS, and god forbid an accident were to occur while in violation, your insurance is useless and the OP can decide if it's worth taking that risk. I'm not sure where you are located, and sorry to all the lawyers on the forum, but around these parts everyone seems to have a relative named "Sue". That said, thousands, if not millions do it and nothing ever happens.

Feel free to read the attached manual excerpt from an intex manual, to see how the homeowner remains solely liable and the seller or manufacturer get around local laws, washing their hands by warning the buyer.

Attachments

• excerpt from easy set pool manual.doc
    328 KB · Views: 7
tcj615,

When I had my inground inspected, I had a WalMart 4'x18' up when the inspector asked me if I was taking it down, because it needed a permit otherwise. You need to get a permit if you want to be LEGAL. I had my pool up for over 4 years and didn't realize I needed a permit. I'm in Carroll County and permit requirements are different in each county. I have no young children living with me and the pool was behind a fence, so there is minimal risk. With an inground and a pool house with electric, gas and water routed to the pool house, I had a total of 4 permits going with my new pool. All inspected, passed and completed. Now just waiting for the assessment to increase... sigh...