Coupling/adapter to go from 1.5" copper to 2" PVC?

vwtoys

Aug 20, 2009
I am replacing my old pump with a Pentair VF and was buying up elbows and other bits at Home Depot. But I couldn't find anything other than the drain rubber boots that adapts 1.5" to 2". But that looks way too flimsy. So I started looking online and found this type of rubber coupling:
http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?ic=92282&froogle=1

Is this what I need to connect 1.5" copper to 2" PVC? Or would sweating on a threaded copper fitting to the old pipe the better way?
Where can I buy this type of rubber no-hub couplings locally?

If that old pipe is not threaded on the other end where you can remove it and replace it with PVC then I would think sweating an adaptor would be the way to go. The No Hub adaptors you are looking at are made for drains that have no real pressure on them. I doubt they will work on the pressure side of a pump. Maybe someone with more pool experience than me has seen this but I have used a boat load of no hub and houses and I've never seen one used for pressure.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Can you get rid of the copper pipe entirely?

Scott
At this point in time, I'm not thinking of getting the pool resurfaced and have all the pipes dug up and replaced. If that's what you mean.
The pool is in relatively good shape and I hate to have to spend 10-15k to get it re-surfaced/pipes replaced.
What I want to accomplish is putting in the Pentair pump and make my existing copper pipe cut off from the where it pokes out from the ground and go 2" PVC to adapt to the Pentair pump.

If I do end up sweating on a female threaded fitting, would it be better to have the 1.5" to 2" adapter in copper as well? I would imagine the transition of copper parts are better than the PVC transitions as far as flow/expansion?

Dalandlord said:
If that old pipe is not threaded on the other end where you can remove it and replace it with PVC then I would think sweating an adaptor would be the way to go. The No Hub adaptors you are looking at are made for drains that have no real pressure on them. I doubt they will work on the pressure side of a pump. Maybe someone with more pool experience than me has seen this but I have used a boat load of no hub and houses and I've never seen one used for pressure.
Thanks. I think I'll need to go to Home Depot and look at their copper stuff.

Bama Rambler said:
Here's a place that carries compression copper to PVC adapters. It might be better than sweating a fitting on.

That will be better if he is not experienced at sweating copper for sure. He might also find that in a good plumbing supply house as well. I'd be surprised if the big box stores had that item.

When I said remove that peice of copper if you can I meant if it was a nipple or something. Nobody here would tell you to demo the pool and change the plumbing to change a pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.