Cloudy water coming out of my returns

ccp

Nov 7, 2010
My returns are returning cloudy water. The water in the pool looks pretty clear, but I am not sure why the returns are returning such cloudy water. I have a 40K gallon pool and have a Pentair SNF 60 filter. Do I need to clean the filter or back wash it or could it be something else? I just cleaned the filter and put new DE in about 5 weeks ago.

I appreciate your help.

One possibility that comes to mind is that the cloudiness could be DE getting into the return flow via a damaged filter grid. Possibly something happened during the cleaning, for instance. If none of the experts has any better ideas, you might consider opening up the filter and taking a look for possible damage.

Another possibility is that you could have a pin hole leak in the suction side of your plumbing which makes tiny air bubbles. This could explain why the water looks cloudy when it comes out of the returns, but the pool looks clear.

ccp said:
I do have a SWCG. The water looks cloudy coming out of the returns and I put it to return only water to the spa and the water in the spa became cloudy as well.

Turn the SWCG off and see if the water clears after a few minutes.

One possibility that comes to mind is that the cloudiness could be DE getting into the return flow via a damaged filter grid. Possibly something happened during the cleaning, for instance. If none of the experts has any better ideas, you might consider opening up the filter and taking a look for possible damage.
[New Member - Post #2]
[I concur with Beamup.] I was two weeks into the SLAM process and my cloudy pool would not clear up. I back-washed the DE filter and then removed all the panels to inspect them. I had a torn panel that was allowing DE back into the pool through the return jets. I replaced all the panels, recharged with DE, and my pool has never sparkled so nicely!

Reactions: Snoobug
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.