local pool places testing is useless.

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
I'm getting better at testing my water. The only test I can't quite nail down is the cya. Sometimes I can see that black dot, sometimes I think I can. Thats why I went to the pool place to see how much cya I have. I think their test is way off. The best I can come up with on my cya is 30-40? They said 6. I told them that imposible. The last time they checked it they said it was 43 and that was a few weeks ago. Now I know Chlorine gets used up, but cya stays put right?. They said their reading could be false. Whats up with that? I tested my chlorine before I left and it was 5 ppm. They said it was 1.9. Maybe that could be because the FC in my pool cleaned the new ziplock freezer bag on the way to the pool place? As Jason said sometimes happens. They said my Alkalinity was 80. I will buy that. Ph was 7.7. I got 7.5 with mine. I feel bad for the poor saps that bring their water to these places and and think they are acurate. I do wish I could know my CYA levels better. So I could know what FC to shoot for. And what the true shock level is. I just shocked my pool sunday night. I put 1 and a 1/2 gallons of 12.5 % shock. I test my Chlorine every day. Usually with the DPD powder, so I can also check for CC. The only thing thats a little hard is just how much is a heaping spoonfull with that tiny spoon. Filix. :cool:

You are on the way to a crystal clear pool since you are conducting your own water tests. The CYA test requires a little practice. See this page for how to read the CYA test: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

CYA is fairly stable. Splash out and back washing are ways to lose CYA. I lose some CYA over the winter.

My daily FC test is with the OTO yellow test. I test weekly with the FAS-DPD powder. I use one level little spoon full unless I expect that I have a high FC level. If I am shocking the pool I use a heaping spoon full.

I was in the pool store on Saturday to get a junction box for my lights. While I waited for the parts guy I watched as the girl there was helping all the weekend customers getting their water tested. She dipped a test strip in their bottle of water then gave out advice for what they needed to buy. Seriously, a test strip? I've never had water tested at a pool store. Is that really what they do?

MajorDIYer said:
I was in the pool store on Saturday to get a junction box for my lights. While I waited for the parts guy I watched as the girl there was helping all the weekend customers getting their water tested. She dipped a test strip in their bottle of water then gave out advice for what they needed to buy. Seriously, a test strip? I've never had water tested at a pool store. Is that really what they do?
Some places, yes. And your report will show CYA 100+. How useful!

I nominate this thread for Understated Title of the Year.

even worse the chain stores will puts those strips in a machine to "read" them.

You get a print out that tells you your CYA is 34.6ppm and your FC is 3.48. The tests will be off by 100% or more - but they put those little decimal points in there to make it look accurate to the sheeple.

When I was double checking at the store they never - ever - got CYA close.

Thanks for everyones help. The pool place I went to had what looked to be a good system. Go figure. I add my chlorine at night. I try to have at least 3 ppm. But on a very sunny hot day, "and my place is in full sun" I will test, and need to add some more. Is it allright to add some when swimmers are in the pool? Thanks. Filix.

Yep. Last time I went to the pool store to pick up a float they had on sale. Took some water in for grins. I think the guy was half blind doing the CYA test. Missed it by like 30 ppm. They always, always miss the chlorine numbers too.

Fortunately for me, I found this site and my water is so clear, it looks like air with the lights on at night. This actually has side affects. I find it increasingly difficult to swim in a public pool when away from home.

I for one will never trust them again. I have been running around i circles for years with them. I always knew something was up. Of course they want to sell you chems, period, end of story, it a business and your pool is secondary to your pocket book and their profits.

I was once a sheeple :(

I will say that the one time I got my water tested at the local Leslie's they tested it in front of me, with reagents, not strips, and wrote down the results (which I saw myself as they were testing.) Another pool store took it back into their "lab" and then gave me a nice computer print out with the results. Guess which one I would trust if I "had" to get my pool water tested at a pool place? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting, I just found out yesterday that my tester lowers my CYA reading below 100 so that the software program will make a recommendation and he can sell me something. If he leaves it above 100 it will only state that the pool has to be lowered since he can't sell me anything to lower CYA. Going to another place this morning.

Pure ridculosity...

At least they told you.

Yet another reason to do your own testing. You probably won't sell yourself much, and then you can use that cashola you saved not upselling yourself and get a popsicle from the ice cream truck... maybe give the kids one too ;~}

I think in the future, if I feel uneasy about my numbers, I would take a sample to a pro testing place. The kind of place that tests your well water before you buy a house. But I feel comfortable with my TF-100, and I'm glad I found this site. Knowledge is power. And this site gives you knowledge. We need more sites like this that teach you the truth. So you don't get taken advantage of. Like buying a used car I have taken a bath more than once. Thanks to this place I don't take a bath, I swim in crystal clear water! Filix.

My closest pool store 30 miles away refused to test my water a few years ago, even after offering to pay them, because "they limit testing only to customers that buy chemicals" from them. The premium I payed them for a new pump/filter combo a couple weeks earlier didn't count. I had to purchase chemicals. I came home, purchased the TF100 kit, & I've never stepped foot into their store again. I consider myself fortunate.

Hey Filix :wave:

Hope all's going well, other than the cya testing!

I'm not sure the water testing lab would be able to test for cya - it's something not found in well or home water - I'd call them and ask. Dave (TFTestkits) sells a controlled sample that you can use to see how well you are testing (it's a known IIRC 50 ppm solution)

How's the skimmer line leak? I know we've had a lot of evaporation in the past few weeks with the high temps and wind. Evaporation won't lower the cya but a leak would.

It's probably best not to pour in the 12.5% with folks in the pool :wink: You could add it s-l-o-w-l-y to the skimmer while folks are in the pool (though I've never advocated adding chems via the skimmer - I think it'd be ok for this) Your sand filter might not get as 'crusty' as it was this spring with a good jolt of bleach every so often :mrgreen: .

If you need some poolside help, you have my phone number :cheers:

Happy Swims!

Hey Ted. That water testing place I'm pretty sure would check for cya as they test for alot of comercial pools in the ares. I had them test my pool water last year whenI was useing eco-smart. It tested fine.

The air leak is still there. I don't think I'm looseing any water out of there. Because I don't seem to have that issue. But I think it might sometimes pull a little sand in? Because on my steps I always see a little pile of sand right where the return is. Of course you would know better than me. I hope to fix that next year.

That thing Dave sells sounds interesting.

Does any of those zeolite products look like sand? It's very cool to know you could come over and help me. Please don't move. :p Filix :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.