1st results - UK

a34536

May 30, 2011
Dorset, UK
We've had the pool (came with the house) for 18 months. Season here is late May until sometime in September. The pool is half drained over winter. It then re-fills up rainwater over the winter and may need a further several inches emptying during the winter.

Just got a test kit, having used test strips in blissful ignorance along with keeping 2 tri-chlor pucks in a floating dispenser for the last year. Only have the DPD chlorine test at the moment. The water looks great and is very clear.

Results
pH - 6.8 to 7.2 (difficult to match the colours. 6.8 is the minimum for the kit)
FC - 6 (difficult to match the colours. 6 is the maximum for the kit)
TA - 60
CH - 140
CYA - 75

pH obviously needs sorting. Pool calculator says to add 0.5kg of Soda Ash (I already have some), so my plan is to add 3/4 of this tomorrow morning and retest tomorrow evening, and switch to Tesco Value bottles of 5% bleach.

Anything else I need to stock up on?

Just make sure that when you are opening your pool, you pay attention to your CYA level.

Previously, using trichlor, you have had a constant supply of CYA, and have been keeping it in check with your yearly 1/2 refill.

Moving to BBB, you will no longer have the constant supply of CYA. If you continue to do your refills, your CYA level will eventually get too low.

Not a big deal... Just something to be aware of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.