AG POOL - TO BACKFILL OR NOT?

MEEKS

Jul 17, 2011
NE AL
Hello and thank you for all replies in advance!
Just installed a new AG pool, 30' round, steel walls, w/resin uprights, on 3' sloped lot. Lots of leveling and tons of sand,we used a contractor for that part, install is complete.
Now we want to build our deck, we have about a foot around the pool up to 3.5' on one side.
See attached pics. Should we fill this in? should we also first put sand or gravel around the pool for drainage?
We plan a deck all around, however, if we back fill, we might opt for a paved patio on the high side leading up to the decking?
the deck will nearly be on the ground on that side.
The questions are in the details for us, we have never had a pool and do not want to create drainage problems or premature rusting of walls, etc...
Suggestions and pics appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0802 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0802 (640x480).jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_0803 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0803 (640x480).jpg
    250 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_0805 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0805 (640x480).jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1,135
Personally I like the exposed sides.

Is the pool rated for back fill? I'm not an expert on the matter but I do know that certain pools are specifically designed for back filling, which (in my mind anyways) means the rest aren't. Regardless, that should be confirmed as the dirt will settle and push back against the pool walls, and in your case it will be disproportionate since it's only on one side.

You should definitely assess the drainage, if that high side holds and drains off alot of water it could cause some erosion under your pool.

Nice pool, I'm sure it will look great with a deck around it!

Wow, nice looking pool. Did you have someone install the pool for you? We were only a foot down and they told us to back fill up to and slightly higher than the original ground. Now in your case I would think that would be a sort of partial bury! Could you call the mfr. and see what they suggest in your situation to as not void the warranty?

Some say backfilling causes rusting, but in our case, if we hadn't our pool would have already washed out. You'll have to do some type of drainage I would think so that water is accumulating in the "hole" if you don't backfill.

Thanks for the comments, the pool is not rated for inground install, so it would void our warranty.
We called the manufacturer and have decided to address drainage around it, with plastic under sand and gravel to send water away from the wall, sorta a "partial back fill" to make sure water goes away from and to the low side to drain off and begin the deck.
The deck should help to divert water also and we will post later to let others know how it all worked out. Forums are great for info sharing! thanks again! ><>

Ours is on a bit of a slope as well, although nothing like yours.

I too was concerned about the runoff from the higher ground eroding out under the pool so we put a small plastic drainage tile with holes in it around that side of the pool, covered it with pea gravel and ran it along the sides so it would drain out instead of try and erode the pool away. We also have a deck built over that side of the pool as that's just where it worked the best. On our second swim season and no problems so far.

Drainage tile, like a pipe? That sounds like a good idea also!
We never realized how much slope our yard had, we thought we were installing on the most level area available with close access to the house, but when the man came in with the transit we were very surprised. He had to dig 3.5' to level the high side. amazing

I would build a stacked wall around and follow the standard drainage techniques behind the wall and leave about 2' in between the pool and the wall minimum. If you don't do a wall, you'll need to taper off the back wall so you avoid erosion. Either way, use drain stone prior to the drainage pipe and put felt on the ground to avoid dirt clogging the pipe. Place drain stone above the drainage pipe all the way up to grade or 4" short if you're doing the wall. If tapering, I'd felt the entire taper and put about 2" of stone all below the deck. This picture is certainly a different application, but my walls have at least 2' wide areas of drain stone behind the wall to avoid any movement on the walls. Drainage is very important and avoiding erosion will make your pool last much longer.

Attachments

• lPhaseV-Day340-Picture06.jpg
    lPhaseV-Day340-Picture06.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,030
If you go the route of that pic above (very nice retaining walls by the way!) make sure it's done right. You have enough of earth there that you can't just go to Home Depot, buy a few pallets of stones, and start making a wall. A retaining wall of that size needs to support the weight of the earth against and needs to prevent that earth from slumping.
Pea gravel and weeping tile would be a great way to go, I don't know about plastic and sand/gravel, maybe that will work but I'd be a bit concerned about it carrying out the sand as the water cannot penetrate the plastic.

If your putting a deck on that side make sure you respect how close the support piers, or blocks, are from the edge.

You mentioned how surprised you were at the slope of your yard, mine is no where near like yours but I expressed the same amazement when I leveled my AGP site. Putting something (near) perfectly level in one's yard sure shows the contrast between level and sloping.

We did not backfill, we added retaining wall, 3/4" rock with a drainage hose on top around the high side. A beautiful deck my husband built. 4' wide all the way around and 12' between the house and pool.
319175_1976256977900_1587381967_31500491_2057134498_n.jpg

299394_1976256737894_1587381967_31500490_1048751086_n.jpg

There is also a gate and handrails now.
Thanks for all the input about the backfill.
We love our pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that is some fine work on that pool deck! I love to see work done right! Real nice looking rail design also. I have decking around half of our pool and am thinking of compleating the deck around the other half and was considering something similar. You helped me make up my mind. Yours looks so good it sealed it in my mind. Thanks for the pictures and again... GREAT JOB !

we learned that just like no such thing as too big for the pool, no such thing as too big for the deck...(except while cleaning of course) We are adding a patio to the deck where it meets the earth on the high side. Will add pictures. My husband is the most awesome diy'er!

Keep in mind that any stone or loose material that you use to backfill will may collapse the walls when changing the liner. I was looking in to this myself and was told by two different installers that dirt or clay would be fine if not diturbed for a few years and able to pack in place. I think most manufacturers will still warany the pool with up to 12" buried. I would paint the area that will be buried with rhino liner or tar then cover that with those solid foam sheets that go around home foundations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.