Typical stuff... New home, old pool, needed pump-wrong?

Jul 25, 2011
Tucson, Az
Hello all! My wife and I picked up our first home which of course turned out to be more work than expected. We're yet to even be in yet but the work is surely in full effect! The pool was put in (according to permits I pulled from online) in 1974 and has 1.5" PVC: one suction and two returns. The pump was a external pump style with the brass impeller... I opted for going to a newer style over rebuilding this whole thing. I was able to find out by calling the number on the motor that it was a 1HP. The local pool peeps told me I should stick with a 1HP but a 3/4 would probably be fine, I felt like a new 3/4 would definitely keep up with a old 1HP so I picked up the 3/4HP Max e-pro. After getting it all plumbed up the flow in the pool was definitely more than before, now I can see ripples and the sand filter now shows 9psi instead of 2psi. Then comes what I think is trouble, when I plug in the vacuum you can hear the pump working harder, some bubbles then come in and through the system to out the water outlets in the pool and the PSI on the filter goes all the way down to 1 or 2 psi this is just with the vacuum hose plugged in, not even having the vacuum on it and sucked to the pool. As soon as I unplug the hose, the pump goes back to normal, all air goes away and pressure goes right back up. I don't think there is a leak in the plumbing that I did but I can't speak for any of the rest... but I don't think there is since I get zero bubbles at other times.
I started to think the pump may still be over sized so I did the little trick using the pressure of the filter and the vacuum at the pump basket to get the feet of head, and I come up with 40. When I cross that on the performance scale I should be flowing 70 gpm which I read is too much for a 1.5" line. I wish I could tell you the sand filter but I don't remember... It is tan, has the small opening in the top that takes the hex wrench and took 325lbs of sand... (XX-80 or something is the model)

Thanks for any assistance you all can provide me.
Andrew

Hello, originally it was so strong I could not move the vacuum at times. I adjusted the height up and it works fine. I can put my hand on the vacuum line and pull off fairly easily I kind of expected more suction being the only vacuum line from the pump. May be false expectations though I have never stuck my hand on the 3 HP intelliflow we have at work.
Thanks! Andrew

Update: I called Pentair and she seemed to think the pump was fine, maybe a bit high flow at my low head... but getting a satellite in to make my MD get into the sucking action should bring the head up and flow down... so I'm on to that (help me in other topic please ;) ) as far as vacuuming, I need to get a valve where I can slow down the suction, apparently attempting to pull 70gpm (at 40 feet of head) through the vacuum hose is causing it to... ca... something make bubbles out of the water.
Thanks for the help!
Andrew

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.