Let the build begin...

Stone started

stone2.jpg

stone.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chris_r11 said:
Looks great - you are really flying. Wondering, what frig is that and what is the stone you are using? Did you know how to work with it before or just learned it as you went?

The fridge is a frigidaire from Lowe's. I took the freezer compartment out for more room and have not had any issues with it freezing the entire unit over the past week. The stone is a stacked limestone that is 4 rows high and about 18 inches long. I wish I could take credit for putting uit on but the guy doing the build actually found it.

So I have run into an issue... The tile for the top isn't going to look good with the chiseled limestone since it's not uniformly even along the edge so my options are granite or travertine...

What would you choose?

Granite, hands down. Or at least something that they call granite. Why? Travertine naturally is mostly air, then it has filler put into the air gaps. It is very brittle, has to be sealed periodically... shall I go on? Granite, or anything they sell you as granite, is a very strong product. The reason I say "anything sold as granite" is some of it isn't granite at all, but ingeous or other type of rock. Our last countertop was ingeous stone with natural mica, it's called Black Galaxy if you want to look it up. Anyway, I've built with both, travertine is best used on bathroom walls, not on anything you'll ever impact such as a floor or countertop. That's my 2 cents, and I don't give refunds. :)

I have a question for you, was the frame a kit or did you design it yourself? I have a few welders and related tools around here myself, never really considered making the skeleton for the kitchen out of square tubing. Now that I see it built, I see the advantage!

RobbieH said:
I have a question for you, was the frame a kit or did you design it yourself? I have a few welders and related tools around here myself, never really considered making the skeleton for the kitchen out of square tubing. Now that I see it built, I see the advantage!
RobbieH, my outdoor kitchen was built out of square steel tubing and the manufacturer claims it to be the strongest one out there.

thabeeser, looking great so far. I wanted to build my own, however I ended up buying one already built. Out top is slate and so far we love it. :cheers: :cheers:

RobbieH said:

The frame was designed by the builder and built at his shop. Out of the 5 builders I talked to only 2 used square tubing which is what I decided would be best for my build. One advantage I see already is the inside storage area is greater than it would be with cinder blocks.

I got a sample of the travertine and it is 1.5 inches thick with a very nice finish but based on the circle top I am going to use granite. I think it will be a much cleaner fit and finish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.