Test Strip Woes

Jul 12, 2011
This is just a general rant, but I have come to the realization that test strips suck..

Took a while to get my CYA where i needed it considering the strip reads 0, 30-50, 100. And both 0 and 30-50 are almost an identical color.

Now the other morning I tested my FC after the SWG had finished, and it was normally at around 3. This time it was less than 1ppm. So I put some bleach in and got the FC to about 4 and tested it after the sun had gone down and it was still 4. I woke up the next morning and tested it again and it was at 0ppm.

Now here lies more problems with the strips. I used the pool calc and poured in the amount of bleach it told me to so that i can get my FC 20-24. But I have no idea whether it got that high or not because my test strips only read to 10 and the color the strip turned is close to 6, 8, and 10 so i just have to hope that it got there. My problem is I don't know how much bleach to keep adding to keep it there.

My pool wasn't really cloudy but for it to go from 4 to 0 in a span of only 8-10 hours had me worried.

Sure would be nice if my TF100 came in, but it hasn't moved from FedEx facility in 4 days now. :rant:

Last time I tested w/strip it said CYA was just barely registering above 0. I mean, the pad was only slightly different than 0 is portrayed and nowhere near the 30-50 range color.

I then tested w/real CYA test. 40-45ppm.

Very frustrating. Sorry. Also strange fed-ex is holding onto your package. I assume a call to them does nothing for you huh?

frogabog said:
Last time I tested w/strip it said CYA was just barely registering above 0. I mean, the pad was only slightly different than 0 is portrayed and nowhere near the 30-50 range color.

I then tested w/real CYA test. 40-45ppm.

Very frustrating. Sorry. Also strange fed-ex is holding onto your package. I assume a call to them does nothing for you huh?

If that was true i could have an extremely high CYA considering im tryin to get it to the 60--70 range

Do you think you've added more than 60ppm worth of CYA? Have you been dosing it up because the test isn't showing anything?

Junky strips. Yuck. Don't panic. You've got a little room for error with the SWG apparently.

Well got the test kit in today. It is sooooooo much easier to measure levels with this.

Here are the results i got with the TF100

FC 14
CC <0.5
TC 14-14.5
pH 7.5
T/A 140
CH 280
CYA 80
Temp 83°
NA 2650

According to the pool calc I added enough chlorine to go from 0 to 20. and in 4 days it has only dropped by 6 points and my CC is less than 0.5 so I'm thinking whatever was in there is dead now.
To get the FC back down to swim able levels should I turn the SWG off for a day or so or leave it running? I took the cover off this morning after the test to try and get rid of some of the FC.
I may have to add some more salt to get it back up to around 3000.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.