I have a leak!

May 8, 2011
I just went and did a back wash and when I turned the pump back on, I discovered a really bad leak.

I am worried with this weather and the tech said they cant come until Wednesday or Thursday. So I am worried that the water will turn. It is leaking from the line that goes between the pump and filter where the temp sensor is drilled into the line. I tried to tighten it but that didnt help it is still leaking like crazy. I had to shut the pump down so, I hope to find someone to fix it tomorrow

Is this normal? the sensor just seems to sit there so cant understand why all of a sudden

It is just a plastic piece, looks like a solid screw with no threading, its under a 1/4" round. It has a small rubber gasket on the end and it sits in a drilled hole in the line. It is held there by a metal hose clamp. I have wiggled it around and tightened it a bit, and it is very small leak, little drip. So I am going to run the pump as it only runs during the night.

I am going to see if the pool guy can come by tomorrow, it has been leaking on and off since install.

Either the o-ring at the sensor's base is gone or the pipe crushed.

Wrapping Teflon tape to form a temporary gasket will work and the temp sensor function will continue. If the sensor was set in a piece of flex pipe, that piece of pipe should be replaced with pressure rated PVC anyway.

Scott

I patched the hose for now. I cut the collapsed piece and added a pvc joint piece to it. then drilled another hole for the sensor and for now all is well.

If I do replace that piece with a hard pvc pipe, where do i put the sensor? will the temp sensor seal on a solid piece of pvc?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.