Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add DE to a cartridge filter system?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add DE to a cartridge filter system?

I have a pentair clean & Clear plus 420 (4 vertical cartridge) system and was wondering...the instruction manual says add .75 lb of DE into the skimmer for each 100 sq feet of cartridge surface, it will improve the filtration. I had been planning on adding 3 lbs of DE to the skimmer.

I just added new filters in NOV.

I went to the pool store and a fairly knowledgeable pool guy said not to do that, it would plug the filter...

What say you all?!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>>>>
    11070 gal Gunnite, Tahoe blue pebbletec, free form
    Pentair 420, PCC 2000 in floor cleaner, waterfall
    2 - 1 HP whisper flow pumps (floor cleaner & main)
    1 - 1 HP Pentair Waterfall pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Some cartridge filters will be destroyed the instant you add DE, others are fine. If your filter manual says that you can do it then go for it. If the manual doesn't specifically suggest it then better not to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    The DE is to be added only the first time the cart is used. It does plug up the cart a bit and help improve filtration butrepeated use will ruin the cartridge.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    The DE is to be added only the first time the cart is used. It does plug up the cart a bit and help improve filtration butrepeated use will ruin the cartridge.
    Would this also hold true for the Purifiber product?
    15,323 gallon inground pool, Wetedge Primera Stone plaster, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntelliFlo 4x160 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch control panel, Pentair Kreepy Krauly. No spa, no heater.

5. Back To Top    #5
    The fiber products don't become embedded in the filter fabric so they are normally fine for ongoing use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School