My first post with a rattle in MPV of sand filter.

Jan 5, 2008
Geelong Australia
Hi there

I found this forum after doing some research on the internet. I recently moved into a house which has an in ground pool and the learning curve has been steep but not impossible. My experience with a local pool shop has not been a positive one so after migrating to another shop I've decided that I am capable of doing most of the maintenance myself.
The new pool shop did a far more thorough water test which highlighted a few minor chemical adjustments which I was happy with.

My problem is: In the past few days I have noticed an audible rattling sound coming from the vicinity of the MPV on the sand filter. I don't remember it doing that or maybe it's normal? Sounds a bit like ball bearing rattling around in there. It makes that sound or similar when it's bleeding air out of the system after I've re-connected the pool cleaner or cleaned the filter basket in the pump, but there is definitely no air in the system.

I'm a qualified motor mechanic and happy to pull things apart but before I do I was hoping for some feedback from more experienced users than myself, in case of any problems that may arise. It seems simple enough. Remove the 6 or so screws retaing the head of the MPV and lift it off?

Cheers from Down Under

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 6
  • cope.jpg
    cope.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 6
Conmore, first --- WELCOME to TFP!! :!: :goodjob:

As you suspect, it is VERY easy to disassemble the MPV by removing the 6 screws. You have the knowledge to take a simple unit apart and correctly reassemble it -- see what's going on in there. I would suggest having some silicon or teflon based lube to apply to the gasket (don't!! use a petroleum based lube on the pool gaskets!!!), after you have opened and inspected the unit. You will find that most everything you may need to do for your pool/ system is very easily done for someone with your abilities :-D

Please let us know what you find when you open the MPV, we are all so envious of you being in the middle of summer while most of us are buried under snow and can't even see the pool :wink:

Again, welcome!! here - if you have further questions/ concerns - we'll be here to assist :angel:

Hi there

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. Well, I took my time, made sure everything externally was clean and dismantled the top of the MPV. Pretty simple really. It was all very clean internally except for a few grains of sand but there was no sign of any foreign body that could create the ball bearing rattling sound.

What I did find though, was a large grain of sand about 2mm in diameter had been sitting under the outer edge of the O ring fingered gasket made of rubber (is that part called the spider gasket and made of the same material as on O ring neoprene rubber). Cleaned it all, lubricated it with silicone grease and re-assembled.

It's much quieter but still making the noise. I'm guessing it's air bleeding, but it's a big guess? :? I'll replace that gasket with a new one. The pool was installed about 3 years ago.

Cheers

Conmore,

Welcome. It does sound like it's clearing air from the filter to me. Does it stop in a minute or so?

My system makes that "rattling" noise exactly as you described but then is quiet once the air is evacuated.

Hi there

I think it lasts a lot longer than a minute, hence my concern. I think it's ongoing which is why it got my attention. I'm sure in the past it lasted a minute or two and then stopped.

But to be 100% sure I'll check tomorrow morning and post back.

Cheers :)

The spider gasket is often the culprit (it 's the gasket with the many 'legs' like a spider's web) Make sure it is seated properly and if that doesn't help try replacing it. Be sure and get the right one for your valve, there are a LOT of different designs for spider gaskets. Best bet is to order it by the part number for the make and model for your valve. If that is not possible bring the old gasket with you and match it up by sight.

Hi there

Checked it again this morning and it seems to be quiet now. :-D I think cleaning it of some of the rogue sand that made it's way up there and also cleaning and applying silicone lubricant on the plate part that comes into contact with it underneath the handle, has helped.

I will order a new spider gasket so if the problem arises I can simply replace it with a new one.

My sincere thanks to everyone who helped! What a great forum.

Cheers

Hi there

Ordered a new spider gasket which should be here in a couple of days.
I was wondering is mechanical grade Dow Corning Silastic (I use it extensively using a paper thin smear on both sides of some gaskets like a thermostat housing or a tappet cover) OK to use to retain the spider gasket in it's housing. Of course taking great care that no excess squeezes out over the top of it.

Cheers :)

It would be fine to use, it's not going to harm the 'rubber'

It's funny, I was just recalling a 'discussion' on another board where people were using crazy glue on the gaskets :eek: My take was that while the glue would certainly keep the gasket seated, if you ever had to change the gasket, you'd probably have to replace the entire MPV - For most MPV's the channels in which the gasket sits are deep enough to prevent the gasket from moving, but a little adherent doesn't hurt as long as it can be easily scraped out if needed. Also remember the 'set- up' time before exposing it to water or pressure (but you know that :wink:)

Glad things are going well with your pool/ system :!:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there

Thanks again for your advice. I'm going to hop on to this post rather than start another with yet another question. I noticed yesterday while cleaning leaves and debris away from the pool pump that there is a small weep coming from the shaft area of the pump. Slow but steady. Not a great fan of leaks :wink:

It's a Questa Supa Jetflow 1.5hp and when I replaced the filter basket with a new one about 4 months ago it wasn't there.
I'm guessing like any water pump with an impeller etc: it would have a mechanical seal, ceramic or otherwise fitted to the pump side of the housing that the shaft runs through. I've researched the part/s and should be able to get what I need for about 35AUD (seals and o rings)

Anyone replaced one of these? Medium, hard, difficult? I have all the tools! :)

Cheers

I'm pretty sure you've got this one already figured out - it's almost certainly the shaft seal assy. Most of them are ceramic/ plastic/ metal with gaskets/ o- rings. I don't know your pump, but they are fairly easy to replace as long as you know how to take the housing apart and properly orient the seal.

I doubt that this will present you with any difficulties.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.