Intex Cooling Wall/Fountain

Jul 18, 2011
After finding this site, I was inspired to build a cooling system (I am calling it my cooling wall) for my 18’ Intex metal frame pool and share the results. I was suffering from a HOT pool that defeated the purpose of having a pool to find comfort in this 100+ degree heat. So my mission was to find a way to split my output so I could pump water to my cooling system. Keep in my mind that the fitting I used were chosen as I had extra Intex hoses and plunger valves readily available (Just purchased the Sand Filter/Saltwater combo from Walmart after my Pump/SWG died last week).

On a good note, after running the cooling wall for 3 hours yesterday afternoon, I noticed a huge difference (It was actually refreshing and a bit nipply after I got out of the pool). Unfortunately, my thermometer seems to be stuck at 95 degrees. I was hoping to have reliable data to prove that the system works. The sound of rain is very much relaxing. Also, the kids love it. As a parent, I have designated one part of the pool a timeout area if any fights ensue.

I am also hoping for some feedback/advice on the following issues that I am facing and ideas that I have for the near future. Below are the issues/ideas.

1. I cannot run the fountain and outlet at the same time. The fountain pressure goes down to a trickle.

2.One idea is to get a separate pump to run the fountain or purchase the larger 2500 GPH sand filter pump. I am unsure if a 1500 GBH separate pump will be suffice to run the fountain. In this case, I would run this pump directly to my skimmer and the other pump to the inlet by using a similar split I used for the outlet then run each pump to the pool outlet and the fountain. I am concerned by using two different pumps that pump at different rates, would this bring forth other issues.

3. Splitter – my current t-split is 3” (I think). I am thinking by reducing this to 1.5” to 2”, it will increase my pressure.

4. When I run my fountain, my PSI is right at the green/yellow split. Is this good for my pump?

5. What is difference between hard plumbing versus the Intex hoses?

[attachment=2:kgefi63b]Side View.JPG[/attachment:kgefi63b]
[attachment=1:kgefi63b]Fountain_Adapter.JPG[/attachment:kgefi63b]
[attachment=0:kgefi63b]Splitter.JPG[/attachment:kgefi63b]

Attachments

• Side View.JPG
    Side View.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 959
  • Fountain_Adapter.JPG
    Fountain_Adapter.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 945
  • Splitter.JPG
    Splitter.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 944
Based on other posts I have read, the 2500 gph pump may not be enough to run them both at the same time. You will need to regulate the flow, most likely with ball valves, to balance the amount flowing each way. Do you have a wider view photo? I'm having trouble figuring out the how everything works together. In the second picture, how did you bridge the 3/4" pvc to the 1-1/4" Intex adapter B, since the outside diameter of 3/4" sch40 pvc is only 1.05"?

rghilliard said:
Based on other posts I have read, the 2500 gph pump may not be enough to run them both at the same time. You will need to regulate the flow, most likely with ball valves, to balance the amount flowing each way. Do you have a wider view photo? I'm having trouble figuring out the how everything works together. In the second picture, how did you bridge the 3/4" pvc to the 1-1/4" Intex adapter B, since the outside diameter of 3/4" sch40 pvc is only 1.05"?

That makes sense. I am opting to get a 1500 gph filter pump just to run the sprinkler and my sand filter pump to the regular outlet. I am going to use the same splitter to join my inlet/skimmer to each pump
. I am hoping that the splitter will move enough water to each pump. I think I used 1/4 or 1/2" reducers on each end. So reducer connected to PVC and other reducer connected to intex b adapter. I inserted the adapter inside the intex b adapter which is lined with rubber. This has a pressure fitting which is tapered. The more you tighten, the tighter the seal. Then both of my reducers are attached to the ball valve on each end creating the connection. No leaks so far and woke up this morning to 87 degree pool.

Newbie here. Finally got our pool up a couple of weeks ago, I'll have to add a pic in a new thread later on. Been lurking and learning a ton from you guys, THANK YOU! Anyway I was inspired to try and add on a fountain from crookm's mods since it has been hot here to in the northeast. I happened to find this product online.

http://store.pinchapenny.com/product/Po ... n-02130169

Seems that I remember someone saying the Intex inlet has the 1-1/2 threaded interior once the eyeball is unscrewed. What do you awesome modders think of this working? I have the 16'x48", std pump and SWG. No other mods (yet), std intex hardware.
When I priced out all of the 1-1/2 inch PVC parts at Lowes to build my own fountain I come up with an almost equal price without all of the hassle. Figured I'd ask you awesome modders before i waste money.

cool fountain,but I made mine much simpler.but not as fancy.but will still cool the water. I bought a this to go on the pool return http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=139 . 1 1/4 pvc fits it perfect.got a 45 degree pvc elbow a short piece of 1 1/4 pvc pipe and a pvc cap.drilled holes in the cap.works great.you can drill holes and make any spray pattern you like.cost about 10.00.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 796
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 796
ladylion said:
Seems that I remember someone saying the Intex inlet has the 1-1/2 threaded interior once the eyeball is unscrewed.
Actually, it doesn't but you can easily mod it for a 1-1/2" adapter that will fit inside tightly even when left unglued (depending on the fitting used).

benhiers said:
cool fountain,but I made mine much simpler.but not as fancy.but will still cool the water. I bought a this to go on the pool return http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... ductID=139 . 1 1/4 pvc fits it perfect.got a 45 degree pvc elbow a short piece of 1 1/4 pvc pipe and a pvc cap.drilled holes in the cap.works great.you can drill holes and make any spray pattern you like.cost about 10.00.
Brilliant. What part is that from intex? The link now just goes to the home page.

Thanks.

ETA:
I think I found it:
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/11238.html
11238.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.