New pool construction, 2 pumps or 1?

Jul 25, 2011
I am about to start construction on an in-ground concrete pool. I have calculated it to be about 60,000 gallons. I'm trying to decide if I should put in one large pump or two smaller ones. Pump cost and operating cost is only a little higher for the two pumps and I get the security of some circulation should a pump fail until I get a new one. On the other hand is the extra energy and intial cost worth that? Any suggestions?

I have a multispeed pump in my pool. The faster the pump runs the more wattage it uses. I haven't done much testing, but the change is NOT linear. Here are a couple numbers from my Jandy ePump:

3450 rpm - 2114 watts
3000 rpm - 1375 watts
2500 rpm - 794 watts
2000 rpm - 407 watts
1500 rpm - 189 watts

I can't tell you how much water is being moved at each speed. But if you run 2 pumps at 2000 rpm, I bet it moves almost twice as much water as 1 pump at 2500 rpm.

Oh, I forgot about the newer type of skimmer my PB mentioned. It was a skimmer that operated off the return lines instead of the suction lines (I think). They are supposed to be more efficient. With my 2 skimmers and The Pool Cleaner (http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/) it is hard to get everything running right at lower rpms on the pump. Below a certain point The Pool Cleaner just stops moving.

Nightmare said:
... newer type of skimmer ... It was a skimmer that operated off the return lines instead of the suction lines (I think).

How can a skimmer operate off a return line? I can imagine a setup that would cause surface debris to be sucked into the skimmer and trapped in the skimmer basket. But what of the skimmer function to serve as the suction inlet for water on its way back to the filter, trapping surface debris in the process?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I think it works like that one, but what he described (or at least how I took it) was that it was built into the side of the pool like a standard skimmer. I need to call him about something else, I'll ask if he has a name or link for the product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.