Worried and confused about bleach and shocking....

The smell comes from CC (combined Chlorine) which is caused by having high organics (Algae) in pool. So that is an indication you need to shock. If you use Chlorine to shock, that is free chlorine (FC) and does not smell (though as it is killing organics it may smell due to CC, but that will go away once you have killed the organics). Have you read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool and the rest of Pool School?

Most people around this forum agree that swimming up to the shock level for you pool (as calculated by the poolcalculator.com) is safe to swim.

If your pools smells "like chlorine", you need to shock. A properly maintain chlorine pool should not smell.

I have read and read for 4 or 5 days. I feel incredibly stupid. Everyone keeps asking everyone if they've read Pool School, etc. I have, and I'm still confused. I have never dealt with a pool ever....

I just want it to be safe and clear.

Thanks!

I would say your best bet while waiting for your test kit is to run a sample up to the pool store, so you get a general idea of where your numbers are at. They may not be 100% accurate, but at least you have a guideline to go by when adding chlorine/bleach to shock it.

Also w/ having some numbers, the people on TFP will be able to help you understand what's going on with your water. Currently it's just a guessing game.

Valentine said:
I have read and read for 4 or 5 days. I feel incredibly stupid. Everyone keeps asking everyone if they've read Pool School, etc. I have, and I'm still confused. I have never dealt with a pool ever....

I just want it to be safe and clear.

Thanks!

Sorry about stressing the Pool School, but I read it many times (and still do). My guess is once you get your test kit, you will start absorbing more of the info. Without a kit, it is sort of like being blind and having a painting described to you, but not being able to see it.

Valentine said:
My pool needs shocking. My test kit is on the way...

It already has a a pretty strong chlorine smell. Won't adding all of this bleach make it worse? Will it be safe to swim in? I don't want to ruin all of our swim suits :?

Here's a simple explanation of what happens when your pool needs to be shocked and what happens when you shock it:

Chlorine sanitizes the pool by breaking down contaminants. In the process of breaking these things down, the chlorine is used up. If the contaminant load is too high or the FC level is too low, the chlorine can't finish breaking down the contaminants. It is at this stage, when the chlorine is partially reacted with the contaminant, but not broken down, that you smell the "Chlorine Smell".

At this stage, you need to add enough chlorine so it can finish the job. That is shocking. When it fully breaks down all the contaminants, the chlorine smell goes away and the filter will begin to remove the debris left over and you can return to normal chlorine levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.