Pool volume calculation

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Split from topic of same name to avoid hijacking. Bama

I was just wondering about the volume on my pool. Now that I am getting control of it, I want to make sure that I treat it accordingly. Is there a way to accurately calculate the volume? I have a lazy-L pool, measuring 20 x 44 and with a deep end and a shallow end. But because of its shape I am not sure that I can find a calculator to give me a volume that is indeed true to my pool.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

brasilmom said:
I was just wondering about the volume on my pool. Now that I am getting control of it, I want to make sure that I treat it accordingly. Is there a way to accurately calculate the volume? I have a lazy-L pool, measuring 20 x 44 and with a deep end and a shallow end. But because of its shape I am not sure that I can find a calculator to give me a volume that is indeed true to my pool.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam
Make a sketch with some dimensions, then break it up into smaller sections to calculate volume, then add up the sum.

I get about [s:3ojijjbs]35,000[/s:3ojijjbs] 28k to 30k gallons. If you have a good test kit, you can turn the chlorinator off, wait and hour and test the FC, then add a large jug of bleach, wait an hour, then test again to see how much it raised the FC. It should raise it 3 ppm from the last test. This won't be a difinitive test but it'll let you know if you're in the ballpark. Over time af adding different chems and recording the changes you'll be able to get pretty close.

[/quote]Make a sketch with some dimensions, then break it up into smaller sections to calculate volume, then add up the sum.[/quote]

Thank you. I have a sketch of the pool that was used to order our safety cover. I know that the shallow part is 3ft deep and the deepest part is 8ft. However, it has the slope leading to the deepest part, and that one is tricky to calculate. Is there a site of sorts that can guide to arrive at a number?

Oh, and how do I calculate the timing needed to run my filter? I have a Hayward NorthStar 1.0 HP pump and sand filter as described in my sig. I want to make sure I am running it long enough for the volume.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Most of the time in a pool with a deep end the average depth is about 5' so you just use that in the calcs and it'll get you close enough.

There's a section in Pool School on how to figure out your pump run time. I'd probably start with about 8 hours a day and adjust from there unless it's a 2-speed pump.

Thank you Dave. I looked around the Pool School and was not able to find the section to figure that out, so I will keep on looking. Also, any ideas on how I can figure out if my pump is a 2-speed pump? I looked at the label on it and in all honesty found nothing indicating that. Maybe that suffice? I will check Hayward's site and maybe I will find out more info on that.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the help. I got some data from the Hayward's website and got my engineer husband to do the calculations for me. We arrived at 7 hours to cycle the entire volume. To be on the safe side I will run the pump for 8 hours. Good thing I do not have to make such elaborate calculations...

Be well

Miriam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.