Electrical help please! T104 + T106 with two speed pump

DaveAZ

Jul 8, 2011
The basics:
T104 is a mechanical on/off switch
T106 is a mechanical high/low switch

I already had a single speed pump with a T104, so I elected to save money instead of going digital and to add a T106.

The Wiring:

Old:
T104 line side (power into T104) wiring remains.
load side wiring (old T104 wires to pump motor) shall be de-installed.

New:
Load side (between T106 and pump motor)
Inside T106:
Terminal A: Green wire, routes to (C) common on pump motor.
Terminal 1: Black wire, routes to (H) high speed on pump motor.
Terminal 4: Red wire, routes to (L) low speed on pump motor.

Wire gauge is based on the amps used by the particular wire. A chart is here: http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/files ... glish.ashx

Line side (power into the T106) is where the issues are for me.
I need two sources for power:
Switched on/off from my T104 to turn the pump on/off.
Constant power to keep my T106 clock going.

There are directions online, but they are far from clear to me.
http://www.poolplaza.com/2-speed-timer-wiring.shtml

They say: "If you are bringing power into your T106 timer from a T104 timer, then take your white timer motor wires to the line side of the T104 timer so that the clock motor on your T106 timer will keep moving even if the T104 shuts off."
Whatever that means.

The wires that power the T106 clock mechanism are brown, and attach to Terminals A & 2 of the T106.
The wires that power the T104 clock mechanism are white, and they attach to terminals 1 & 3 of the T104, which are the line load side (constant power.)

The rest of this contains guesswork. This is where I need help.

T106 comes with a jumper between Terminals 2 and 3.
My guess is that Terminal 2 is constant power and Terminal 3 is switched power, and I need to remove this jumper. Am I correct?

Switched power (line side into T106):
At the load side (output) of the T104:
Terminals 2 & 4 have two yellow wires (each a 110V leg?)
And a common.
These supply switched on/off.
My guess is that T104 Terminals 2 & 4 should be wired to T106 Terminals A & 3.

Constant power:
I then should run a wire from Terminal 3 of the T104 (The line load constant power) to T106 Terminal 3.

Am I good, or am I missing something?

The clock on both timers is powered by your main line coming into the T104 so when you turn off the 104, the clock on the 106 doesn't stop. A set of wires is needed to jumper the clock inputs.

For others reading this, I prefer to use Intermatic's P1353ME timer. It has High/Low and Aux. Aux get set to total time the pump runs and supplies power to the High and Low line side connections. The pump gets connected to the respective load side connections. This is done in a single timer box with less wiring.

Scott

Hello, Thanks all I've learned a great deal from this forum already and managed to replace my single speed pump with a 2 speed pump.

I also used the diagram at poolplaza (http://www.poolplaza.com/2-speed-timer-wiring.shtml) and the other link to the intermatic PDF to clarify the clock wiring. I didn't notice that the rest of the intermatic wiring was different.

The poolplaza diagram seems backwards, at least for my logic. I think the High and Low are reversed. I noticed my pump was still running in high in the morning when I expected it to be in low. I expected the "on" position to be high and the "off" position to be low. I just went through replacing the timer after calling intermatic and them sending a new timer. If I had placed the "off" tripper where I wanted the high to go on (before the "on" tripper on the clock face), and the "on" tripper where I wanted the low speed to resume (later in time) I think I may have been OK.

If someone familiar with this setup could take a look at the wiring diagrams and verify for me I'd appreciate it. My pump seems to be working as expected now, though I just changed it and havent gone through any full cycles yet. I just want to be sure that the poolplaza wiring is OK if I swap the high and low wire connections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.