Waiting for new pump to arrive, water is green

Jul 18, 2011
We live in Central Georgia, and have a Summer Escapes 14' x 42" frame set pool with an Intex salt system chlorine generator. The small pump that came with the pool crapped out on us, so I ordered the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Pump.

When the pump first went out last weekend I drained the pool and cleaned it completely. Probably shouldn't have filled it back up until the pump arrived, but we had company over and filled it back up so the kids could swim.

I haven't added any salt to the water, but it has stayed fairly clean until today. This morning when I went out to check it, the whole pool is green. I can't even see the bottom of the ladder.

The new pump should arrive in the next couple days. My question is....should I go ahead and add the salt to the water so it will be ready when the pump gets here, or should the pool be drained again and start back over?

Thanks,
jakeinga

If it were me I'd be adding some chlorine manually and stirring the pool. The longer it goes like this the more algae will multiply and the more chems it will take to get it back in shape.

That being said - you will want to mix it a bit when adding chlorine. Bleach is heavier than water and can damage the liner if too concentrated.

I'd go to the pool store and buy a Wall Whale brush, designed to help you apply pressure to the wall of the pool while brushing and it moves water like you wouldn't believe. Add the needed chlorine and brush for a few minutes to mix, then test again in an hour or so and repeat.

What sort of test kit do you have? Have you read Pool School? Review Test Kits Compared.

Hind sight is 20/20 but what you should have done was to have been adding chlorine to the pool the whole time and mixing manually. But since you didn't, now you're gonna have to either drain, clean and start over or you're going to have to shock the pool until you pass the OCLT.

I get that your pool holds about 4,000 gallons so if you don't have a good test kit you may be better off draining, cleaning and refilling. At least you haven't added any chemicals so you won't lose anything but water.

My personal choice would be to get a good test kit and shock the pool till you pass the OCLT, then add what you need to get it right. Keep in mind that shock is a process not something you throw in the pool one time.

I've put the necessary amount of bleach in the pool and mixed it up well.

The pump should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be able to start with half-way decent water.

Went by Ace to pick up a test kit, but they only had the 2 part tests. Will check Wal-Mart out tomorrow.

If the water clears up, will it be okay to put the salt in and start using the SWG?

How did you determine the proper amount of chlorine to add? You are going to have to shock the pool if you aren't draining, and you'll need to accurately know your CYA level, unless you've added zero chemicals. And if you are going to shock, you aren't going to be able to use a test kit from Ace or WalMart, you are going to need something that can accurately measure high chlorine levels. I recommend looking at this website for your kit: http://tftestkits.net

RobbieH said:
How did you determine the proper amount of chlorine to add? You are going to have to shock the pool if you aren't draining, and you'll need to accurately know your CYA level, unless you've added zero chemicals. And if you are going to shock, you aren't going to be able to use a test kit from Ace or WalMart, you are going to need something that can accurately measure high chlorine levels. I recommend looking at this website for your kit: http://tftestkits.net

I've actually decided that I'd rather start out with clear water with this new pump, rather than fight an algae problem for who knows how long. Just pulled the plug, so hopefully I'll be able to start filling it back up tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I didn't realize there was so much to know about pools, but this site has helped out a lot. Looking forward to learning a great deal more. Will likely be looking for help when setting up the new pump.

Butterfly said:
BadOleRoss said:
I would be adding bleach and get a bunch of kids in there to mix it up real good. Just make sure you add the bleach slowly and only around kids you don't like very much! :mrgreen:
:hammer:

OP, just make sure the bleach is mixed well for at least 30 minutes before any swimming :wink:

Haha, thanks for the tip...although I've decided to drain the pool and clean it out completely.

We should still be ready for some weekend swimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.