Putting test water in fridge to test later?

bunedockmama

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
Just wondering how people get their water sample in the early am. How do you keep it for tests from the pool stores? Do you keep it in the fridge or just leave it in the house or car till you can get it tested?

Reason I ask is because, I've been shocking for algea since July 11th and trying to keep up with the FC.

Sometimes I can't check the levels in the eve and have been grabbing some of the pool water and letting it set overnight in the fridge and testing the next am.

Does this effect the results?

Edited to say: the next morning I get a new sample to get my OCL.

Yes it wil laffect your test results. Best results are done with water usually at room temp. No more than an hour after sample is taken. Is there a reason you do not test right away? I assume you do not have a test kit maybe? Especially if you are fightning algae you will need a good test kit to check your FC level to keep at shock level. If you have not read up in pool school top right and get a test kit along with speed stir if you can swing it. The kit sounds like a lot of money, but will save you from emptying out your bank account at the pool store, or as we like to call pool stored. It happens to all of us.

Thanks for the reply.
I do have the tf test kit and love it!

One excuse, I seem to get interupted very often on my counting the drops. I try to be alone when I test. (lol)
Two excuse, I'm lazy after 7pm.

So what you're saying is that my readings are not going to be correct if I leave the water overnight in the fridge.

Thank you for answering my question.

I love the TFP!

bunedockmama said:
Thanks for the reply.
I do have the tf test kit and love it!

One excuse, I seem to get interupted very often on my counting the drops. I try to be alone when I test. (lol)
Two excuse, I'm lazy after 7pm.

So what you're saying is that my readings are not going to be correct if I leave the water overnight in the fridge.

Thank you for answering my question.

I love the TFP!
Get a speedstir! Then the test is painless. I grab a sample and sit down at the patio table, usually with a drink and quite often with a cigarette. Then fill up one tube, set it on the speedstir, press the button, and add drops. Have a sip or a drag. press the button, add some more. It's more of an amusement along with my vices than a chore that way.

I am trying to understand the circumstances.

First you are seeming to be talking about getting the water tested at the pool store. Then you say you are using a TF test kit.

If you are fighting algea, you would be likely testing for two reasons:

1) To make sure that you are maintaining shock level. If this is the case, I would think you would want to test right away, so you can take corrective action if needed.

and/or

2) To do an overnight chlorine loss. In which case, you would be testing both in the evening and in the morning.

Regardless, temperature aside, a sample of water, segregated from the rest of the pool will not really tell you anything. It will neither represent the chemistry of the pool when the sample was taken, nor will it represent the chemistry of the pool at the time of the test.

For example: There may be algea on the walls of the pool that would not be on the walls of your sample container. As such, the chlorine in your sample container could be doing rather well handling the free floating algea, while the chlorine in the pool is fighting world war three with the algea on the walls (or the dead rat hiding under the ladder). :)

waskydiver said:
I am trying to understand the circumstances.

First you are seeming to be talking about getting the water tested at the pool store. Then you say you are using a TF test kit.

If you are fighting algea, you would be likely testing for two reasons:

1) To make sure that you are maintaining shock level. If this is the case, I would think you would want to test right away, so you can take corrective action if needed.

and/or

2) To do an overnight chlorine loss. In which case, you would be testing both in the evening and in the morning.

Regardless, temperature aside, a sample of water, segregated from the rest of the pool will not really tell you anything. It will neither represent the chemistry of the pool when the sample was taken, nor will it represent the chemistry of the pool at the time of the test.

For example: There may be algea on the walls of the pool that would not be on the walls of your sample container. As such, the chlorine in your sample container could be doing rather well handling the free floating algea, while the chlorine in the pool is fighting world war three with the algea on the walls (or the dead rat hiding under the ladder). :)

I'm sorry to take so long to respond, I seem to have a problem posting since I got a new computer. Every time I try to post my numbers, I lose the post.
I have the TF100 kit. I have never been to a pool store. I should have not phrased my ? the way I did. Sorry 'bout that. LOL. I was trying to do the overnight test. haven't found a rat yet! LOL.
Going to submit this now, before I hit another wrong key!

Try adjusting your touchpad settings (I'm assuming you're on a laptop). The setting you're looking for is "palmcheck". Set that to the maximum.

If that doesn't work you can try a couple of stand alone applications although I have had luck with one of them once and then not again on the same operating system (win7). Google "Touchfreeze" and "Touchpad Pal". I don't know why Touchfreeze worked before, but after HP replaced my hard drive I tried it again with no joy. Touchpad Pal didn't work either.

Fortunately I've learned to keep my hands away from the touchpad as I type but that is only out of necessity.

Additionally, if your browser suddenly goes to a different page while you're typing, you can always use the back button and your post should still remain on the page.

Frogabog, thank you! You don't know how many times I tried to post my test results, and there were alot of them, ( g :whoot:) ( This an example, I don't what happened here) hit a tab or do a slide with my palm and loose everything! Hitting the back button would not work. It was sooo frustrating!

If you really want to know what's going on with your pool and get your algae cleaned up you really need to take the time in the evenings & mornings to make sure you get an accurate test result so you know how much chlorine is needed to get the situation under control.

Once you get the problem cleared up you can go to testing less frequently and at whatever time is best suitable for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.