Not only pools freeze

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Hi All! :-D

There have been a couple of freeze problems with pools/ pumps lately. Just thought I'd share my winter plumbing hassle with y'all.

I have no pool, so the pool's not the trouble :wink: But I do live in a condo, built in 1973. The 2nd floor extends ~2' past the 1st in the front and back. Unfortunately, the bathtub is over the back extension. Because of a pre-existing problem in the neighbor's unit, there is no insulation on her side :x and as a result, my tub drain freezes a couple of times each winter (when I forget to do adequate preparation :thumbdown: ). Normally I would run hot water through the pipe for a few minutes, open the shower curtain and close the bathroom door - last night I 'spaced' it :hammer: and, as a result, after my wife took her shower this AM, the tub was 1/3 full of dirty, soapy water :evil: AS I've done in the past, I bailed the water out into the toilet and added a couple of inches of hot tap water to the tub... and waited. In the past it's taken 2 -4 bail/ hot fill to clear it, but today it took 7 :shock:

I'm thinking of adding some antifreeze to the drain, when I think the temps would require it - would sea salt do until I get a chance to grab some antifreeze from work? BTW - the drain itself is brass, but the piping is ABS (I know this for a fact, as I had to connect the drain to the waste line when the contractor my wife hired proved to be unable to do so :rant: !)

Just wanted those who are having their equipment freeze know that they aren't the only ones experiencing freezing this winter :lol:

That RV anti-freeze sold at WalMart, PEP Boys or other places would work for you. It is about $2.89 a gal. Just alittle in the trap will work wonders. My pool is sitting under a foot of snow... last night it got to -11 Deg F.

Hi, Ted,

Salt would probably work fine. Might not be great if you have any cast iron in the system but I can't imagine a little passing thru would cause any harm.

The anti-freeze seems more bulletproof to me and probably a little easier to apply.

Best solution.....move about 500 miles South down here with us Rednecks!! :lol: :lol: That said, it got down to around 18 here last night....oh yeah, you'll love the 90+ days of 92+ heat and humidity....maybe frozen pipes don't sound so bad!! :lol:

duraleigh said:
Hi, Ted,

Salt would probably work fine. Might not be great if you have any cast iron in the system but I can't imagine a little passing thru would cause any harm.

The anti-freeze seems more bulletproof to me and probably a little easier to apply.

Best solution.....move about 500 miles South down here with us Rednecks!! :lol: :lol: That said, it got down to around 18 here last night....oh yeah, you'll love the 90+ days of 92+ heat and humidity....maybe frozen pipes don't sound so bad!! :lol:

Dave, HAPPY NEW YEAR :!: :-D

Yeah, each winter I think that I should have grabbed a couple of gallons of antifreeze from work, but forget come the end of the season :oops: MY system works for the tub when I 'remember' to do it, but the anti would require the same 'functional' diligence :pukel: (a friend of mine, who I hadn't seen in ~4 months stopped by that afternoon :roll: ) - In short, my own d*mmed fault.

As per moving to the warmer climes, I lived in Richmond Va for 7 years, doing pools, and loved! the "90+ days of 92+ heat and humidity" (I would much rather sweat and overheat than have even the slightest chill :) ) In my younger days it was great to have a full tan by the middle of March (I pictured myself as a bronze Addonis with flowing hair :fro: ) However, the wife wants to stay in the NE to be closer to her family (she even wants to go further north :shock: ), if it were up to me I'd be well below the Mason- Dixon line in a heartbeat!

I will say again how I dearly miss the interaction amongst some of us back on Pool Forum, however - this is a great forum and the questions are being answered every bit as well as they were on PF, with LOTS of new (and good) voices :goodjob: - call me a longhaired hippy conservative, but I do miss ... the way things 'used to was', while still enjoying the atmosphere here. :sad:

Ah well, glad your here and posting and to you, your family & the elves as well as everyone who reads this:

HAVE A GREAT 2008!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.