Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not only pools freeze

1. Back To Top    #1

Not only pools freeze

Hi All!

There have been a couple of freeze problems with pools/ pumps lately. Just thought I'd share my winter plumbing hassle with y'all.

I have no pool, so the pool's not the trouble But I do live in a condo, built in 1973. The 2nd floor extends ~2' past the 1st in the front and back. Unfortunately, the bathtub is over the back extension. Because of a pre-existing problem in the neighbor's unit, there is no insulation on her side and as a result, my tub drain freezes a couple of times each winter (when I forget to do adequate preparation ). Normally I would run hot water through the pipe for a few minutes, open the shower curtain and close the bathroom door - last night I 'spaced' it and, as a result, after my wife took her shower this AM, the tub was 1/3 full of dirty, soapy water AS I've done in the past, I bailed the water out into the toilet and added a couple of inches of hot tap water to the tub... and waited. In the past it's taken 2 -4 bail/ hot fill to clear it, but today it took 7

I'm thinking of adding some antifreeze to the drain, when I think the temps would require it - would sea salt do until I get a chance to grab some antifreeze from work? BTW - the drain itself is brass, but the piping is ABS (I know this for a fact, as I had to connect the drain to the waste line when the contractor my wife hired proved to be unable to do so !)

Just wanted those who are having their equipment freeze know that they aren't the only ones experiencing freezing this winter
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

2. Back To Top    #2

That RV anti-freeze sold at WalMart, PEP Boys or other places would work for you. It is about $2.89 a gal. Just alittle in the trap will work wonders. My pool is sitting under a foot of snow... last night it got to -11 Deg F.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Hi, Ted,

Salt would probably work fine. Might not be great if you have any cast iron in the system but I can't imagine a little passing thru would cause any harm.

The anti-freeze seems more bulletproof to me and probably a little easier to apply.

Best solution.....move about 500 miles South down here with us Rednecks!! That said, it got down to around 18 here last night....oh yeah, you'll love the 90+ days of 92+ heat and humidity....maybe frozen pipes don't sound so bad!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, Ted,

Salt would probably work fine. Might not be great if you have any cast iron in the system but I can't imagine a little passing thru would cause any harm.

The anti-freeze seems more bulletproof to me and probably a little easier to apply.

Best solution.....move about 500 miles South down here with us Rednecks!! That said, it got down to around 18 here last night....oh yeah, you'll love the 90+ days of 92+ heat and humidity....maybe frozen pipes don't sound so bad!!
    Dave, HAPPY NEW YEAR

Yeah, each winter I think that I should have grabbed a couple of gallons of antifreeze from work, but forget come the end of the season MY system works for the tub when I 'remember' to do it, but the anti would require the same 'functional' diligence (a friend of mine, who I hadn't seen in ~4 months stopped by that afternoon ) - In short, my own d*mmed fault.

As per moving to the warmer climes, I lived in Richmond Va for 7 years, doing pools, and loved! the "90+ days of 92+ heat and humidity" (I would much rather sweat and overheat than have even the slightest chill ) In my younger days it was great to have a full tan by the middle of March (I pictured myself as a bronze Addonis with flowing hair ) However, the wife wants to stay in the NE to be closer to her family (she even wants to go further north ), if it were up to me I'd be well below the Mason- Dixon line in a heartbeat!

I will say again how I dearly miss the interaction amongst some of us back on Pool Forum, however - this is a great forum and the questions are being answered every bit as well as they were on PF, with LOTS of new (and good) voices - call me a longhaired hippy conservative, but I do miss ... the way things 'used to was', while still enjoying the atmosphere here.

Ah well, glad your here and posting and to you, your family & the elves as well as everyone who reads this:

HAVE A GREAT 2008!!!!!!!!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)