Newbie needs help ASAP

katz

Jul 24, 2011
Southern WV
Any suggestions on bracing an above ground pool? Its a Pro Series 20X48 similar to Intex Ultra. Sand has started shifting and has broke several leg caps ..replacement caps are NOT IN STOCK! I'm not on public water and its taken several weeks to fill by spring feed water supply. Also its been so hot and dry in my location that water flow from springs has slowed so that draining and refilling is out of the question. After discovering the shifting I have not finish filling pool, it likes about 6 inches of being to level needed to operate skimmer. Greatly appreciate any ideas!

Attachments

• dcp_3997.jpg
    dcp_3997.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 489
  • dcp_3996.jpg
    dcp_3996.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 489
sloping ground was level by endloader, several tons of sand base was leveled, topped with a foam type material used to cushion pool liner.

I've saw so many of the blue metal Intex models pools setup in my area and its unbelievable how "katy woped" out of level... it amazing they haven't collapsed.

PS: pool legs are set on small block pavers, 6-legs on lower end have almost slid off pavers. Here, I know I should have used a larger paver. Have no kids no rough house in pool, just hoping to find a way to brace so we can finish out season without fear of collapsing. Will do setup different next year.

I'd re-seat that paver, and call it good.

The leg does not look off plumb very much, if at all. Sounds like the leg was too far in, in the first place and the liner has pushed it out as water was added. I also would not worry much about the leg cap for now. It won't make or break your pool.

Looks like a very level and well thought out build. Is your winter harsh? If not, you might be fine winterizing instead of tearing it down.

frogabog thanks for your response! Looks are deceiving, I checked water level this morning...there's now a 5-inch difference! It appears to be sinking down in the sand and hasn't move landscaping bricks. Yesterday Hubby drove a few metal fence post to prevent bricks from shifting out just in case. Our winters are far too harsh for winterizing. Searching a "temporary" bracing ideas, something to get us by 6-more weeks, until mid-September we'll drain and put up for the season. If weather permits, this fall or next spring plan to remove sand & re-level use decomposed granite also move landscaping/retaining wall bricks out about 12-inches. If in the event there were a collapse there's no danger of any damage to everything other than the pool itself.

Darn. I actually didn't look close enough at the top of the pool. It's a little wobbly up there huh?

Is the floor sinking? Or just the legs?

How far out past the diameter of the pool was the surface leveled and packed? It looks like the pavers are kind of falling off the edge.

Is the pool 5 inches higher on one side? Or is it variable around the pool?

I guess I'm asking if the pool floor has sunk or if it's just the legs. Legs can be adjusted, with a little effort. The floor however, impossible w/o draining.

Biggest problem...used too small of pavers which tipped because of sand, causing legs to slid off pavers which is making the 5-inch difference with water level...

At this time there doesn't appear to be any problem with pool floor sinking.

Base...sand was wet & tamped. 4ft level attached to a 10ft 2x4 was use to level sand. We didn't go out far enough pass pool diameter.

Will post more photos!

OK, well wow...

Looks like you have only a few choices to "try", and one that will work.

It looks like the legs are the real issue, not the level of the sand/pad itself but without actually seeing the pool I can't say for sure.

I would not recommend trying to raise the legs that slid off the pavers because water is heavy, and it's near impossible. However one member here described a home made jack made of 2x4's recently that could work if you could manage to pack enough material under those legs so they won't sink again. HARD to do this, likely will fail.

I might try lowering the high side legs instead but I do not know if this would work either since the pad seems to be secure. It might create a "moat" of sorts around the outside of the pool which would be difficult to clean.

The sure way to fix this is to drain, re-level (6-8" beyond the diameter of the pool), and refill. Is it the water cost or the time involved in this that has you looking for other alternatives?

For whatever it's worth... the legs of my pool are on small wooden planks, not a whole lot bigger than those bricks however they are square rather than rectangle and only about 5/8" thick. They work fine, we left the pool up last winter and they remain secure. Wood seems more forgiving than bricks insofar as puncturing risk, you might consider another kind of paver for the feet, wider and perhaps thinner if you can find it. A larger foot pad would sink less and not topple quite as easy even if the sand shifted a bit.

Others will have more insight I'm sure. We had to level 3 or 4 legs... H found them to be a few milimeters off level after filling and we scraped a tiny bit of material from under them to straighten it with him lifting and me scraping. It was not easy even to do that. Very heavy.

Best of luck, however you decide to proceed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all your suggestions!
My water is Free.. its just in short supply due to near drought conditions in my location. Which creates a problem as far as draining & refilling and no one in my area delivers water anymore. I live in the country, no public water service and my water source is "spring" feed water which is pumped to the house the same as well water. We have a 1000-gal reservoir/spring house, and with the severe dry spell the water flow from springs is very slowed. It took almost 3-weeks to fill the pool to it present level...pumping only a few hundred gallons a day will take forever to refill 8,800 gal pool. I understand draining and correcting ground level is the best option. But as stated before, I'm so hoping to find a way to temporary brace/support those 6 pool legs until we tear it down for the season...about mid September.

I had a similar issue this year when I put up my pool.

I also used pavers that were too small and under estimated the distance they would "push" out. This resulted in legs that sunk even tough the pad was level.

I used an automotive jack and rigged up a 2x6 that would straddle either side of the "T" bar. Lifted the feet that fell off, did my best to fill in and relocated the paver. It wasn't fun but it worked.

Another thing, if you can get your hands on a temporary pool and do a water transfer (I had to do this too, yes i've set my pool up 3 times this year...). I failed to get my pool as level as it needed to be it was about 3 inches off. I setup a pool next to mine, used a sump pump to transfer the water, fixed the ground and then put the water back in.

matt_e said:
Another thing, if you can get your hands on a temporary pool and do a water transfer (I had to do this too, yes i've set my pool up 3 times this year...). I failed to get my pool as level as it needed to be it was about 3 inches off. I setup a pool next to mine, used a sump pump to transfer the water, fixed the ground and then put the water back in.

Smart guy you are there Matt... GOOD idea. Walmart will take anything back :~}

matt_e said:
I had a similar issue this year when I put up my pool.

I also used pavers that were too small and under estimated the distance they would "push" out. This resulted in legs that sunk even tough the pad was level.

I used an automotive jack and rigged up a 2x6 that would straddle either side of the "T" bar. Lifted the feet that fell off, did my best to fill in and relocated the paver. It wasn't fun but it worked.

Thanks for your response & suggestions!
As for the temporary pool....that idea had crossed my mind too! One catch, property slopes no place level enough to set another pool without digging ground. I must admit after reading so many horror stories of AGP collapsing I'm paranoid as heck mine will fall to the same fate!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.